Gulf Carriers Re-Routing to Avoid Northern Iraqi Airspace
Airlines in the Gulf region are becoming increasingly cautious of the security situation in strife-torn Iraq and are re-routing their flights to maintain a safe distance from the troubled zone.
Bahrain's national carrier, Gulf Air, has announced the re-routing of its European flights to avoid northern Iraqi airspace, as the airline takes further precautions amid growing concerns over the deteriorating security situation.
The airline's European flights, which are the only flights to operate over northern Iraqi airspace, will be re-routed effective immediately using alternate, more secure flight paths.
This change will apply until further information becomes available as the national carrier continues to monitor the situation closely.
Gulf Air's existing Iraq operations (3 weekly flights to the Iraqi capital Baghdad and daily flights to Al-Najaf) are being reviewed on a day-to-day basis in advance of operations.
At the moment, flights between Bahrain and the two Iraqi cities continue as normal although Bahrain's national carrier is taking the necessary precautions while working closely with government and air traffic control authorities in Iraq to prepare for all eventualities.
On Thursday, Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways suspended all flights to Erbil, Iraq with immediate effect.
"The decision to suspend the four flights a week passenger service follows advice regarding the possibility of a deteriorating security situation in the region as a result of on-going military conflict between Iraqi security and ISIS forces," the airline said.
Days later, the airline said it will re-route its flights to avoid conflict airspace in Iraq.
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Khalsa College Postpones Drama Event Till ABVP Drama Pacifies
- India Likely to Be Less Affected by Global Economic Shocks: IMF
- Ticket Collector Bites Off Senior Officer's Nose In A Fit Of Rage
- 60-Year-Old Poet Thrashed For Stopping DTC Bus Conductor From Urinating On Road
- 130 Bodies Of Fighters Beheaded By Rival Jihadists Found in Syria Mass Graves
- BMC Mayor Will Be From Our Party, BJP Used Deceitful Means to Destabilise Our Rule: Sena
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman