Gujarat Govt to Set Up India's First Diamond SEZ in Surat
After courting success with an array of special economic zones, Gujarat is now proposing to set up an only-for-exports hub for diamonds at Surat, possibly the first of its kind in India.
"We have identified everything (like land) and I think may be in a month or two we will set up the SEZ," Gujarat Finance Minister Saurabh Patel told PTI.
The state government is keen that Surat should have an international airport, the minister said, adding that he has met the Union Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju in this regard.
He also requested Raju for starting direct flights to Dubai from Vadodara and Surat, and from Ahmedabad to London and New Jersey. An international airport in Surat will help to help boost business as well as tourism, he said.
As regards the Special Economic Zone (SEZ), he said that once it is set up, the jewellery exporters would be able to bring in diamonds and have them processed in the notified area.
Patel said: "The diamond polishers are very keen to set up SEZ. Surat is a diamond hub. Polished diamond goes to Antwerp, Dubai and other places. Diamond polishers have the confidence in building up the SEZ and state government will support them."
There are a total of 18 operational SEZs or export hubs in Gujarat, and there is no data to suggest that there is an SEZ exclusively for diamond.
India's gems and jewellery sector accounts for about 15 per cent of the total exports. Total gems and jewellery exports from SEZs in April-July stood at USD 1.08 billion as against USD 1.58 billion in the year-ago period.
Exports of cut and polished diamonds in the April-July period stood at USD 7.5 billion, as against USD 8.42 billion in the same period last year.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Terrorists Attack Near Pakistan Court, Casualties Feared
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- Sensex Climbs Up 65 Points in Early Trade
- Swear by 'Ganga Maiyya' on Power Supply Issue: Akhilesh to PM
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- Publisher Cancels Right-Wing Provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos' Book Dangerous
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village