Gujarat Govt to Set Up India's First Diamond SEZ in Surat
After courting success with an array of special economic zones, Gujarat is now proposing to set up an only-for-exports hub for diamonds at Surat, possibly the first of its kind in India.
"We have identified everything (like land) and I think may be in a month or two we will set up the SEZ," Gujarat Finance Minister Saurabh Patel told PTI.
The state government is keen that Surat should have an international airport, the minister said, adding that he has met the Union Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju in this regard.
He also requested Raju for starting direct flights to Dubai from Vadodara and Surat, and from Ahmedabad to London and New Jersey. An international airport in Surat will help to help boost business as well as tourism, he said.
As regards the Special Economic Zone (SEZ), he said that once it is set up, the jewellery exporters would be able to bring in diamonds and have them processed in the notified area.
Patel said: "The diamond polishers are very keen to set up SEZ. Surat is a diamond hub. Polished diamond goes to Antwerp, Dubai and other places. Diamond polishers have the confidence in building up the SEZ and state government will support them."
There are a total of 18 operational SEZs or export hubs in Gujarat, and there is no data to suggest that there is an SEZ exclusively for diamond.
India's gems and jewellery sector accounts for about 15 per cent of the total exports. Total gems and jewellery exports from SEZs in April-July stood at USD 1.08 billion as against USD 1.58 billion in the year-ago period.
Exports of cut and polished diamonds in the April-July period stood at USD 7.5 billion, as against USD 8.42 billion in the same period last year.
- Lok Sabha Approves Amendment to Lokpal Act for Deferring Asset Filing
- Salman Acquittal: Key Witness in Poaching Case Says He Wasn't Summoned Deliberately
- IS Claims Attack That Killed 44 in Northern Syria
- Muslim Women Beaten Up by Gau Rakshaks in MP, Uproar in RS
- T. M. Krishna, Bezwada Wilson Win Magsaysay Award
- Narsingh Replaced by Rana, Scandal Reaches Police
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Some Objects Found, Need to Verify Whether From AN-32: Parrikar
- IT Raid on AAP MLA's Premises for Alleged Tax Evasion
- Using 'Crazies' Like Hafiz Saeed Will Harm Pakistan: Haqqani
- 3,550 Police, 2,309 Civilians Injured in Stone Pelting in J&K
- Amnesty International Demands Dropping of All Charges Against Irom Sharmila
- Baghdad Suicide Bomb Kills Six, Province Takes on Militants
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED