Gujarat Governor O.P. Kohli Takes Oath As Maharashtra Guv
Gujarat Governor Om Prakash Kohli was today sworn in as the Governor of Maharashtra following resignation of his counterpart K Sankaranarayanan after the latter was transferred to Mizoram by the government.
In a brief ceremony held at Raj Bhavan tonight, Kohli took the additional charge as Governor of Maharashtra.
Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court Justice Mohit Shah administered him the oath of the office, while Chief Secretary Swadhin Kshatriya read out the warrant of Kohli's appointment, issued by the President.
Kohli's wife Avinash, outgoing governor K Sankaranarayanan and his wife Radha, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Speaker of state legislative Assembly Dilip Walse Patil, minister for protocol Suresh Shetty and senior government officials were present on the occasion.
Before the swearing-in ceremony, Sankaranarayanan, who submitted his resignation from the post to the President, was given the ceremonial Guard of Honour by the Indian Navy at the Raj Bhavan.
Kohli has been asked to take additional charge of the post of Governor of Maharashtra by a Presidential notification dated August 23, 2014.
Kohli (79) is a MA (Hindi) from University of Delhi and has worked as a lecturer at Hansraj College and Deshbandhu College (University of Delhi) for over 37 years. He was the president of Delhi University's Teachers Association (DUTA) from 1973-79 and a elected member of the Academic and Executive Councils of the University.
Kohli was the president of National Democratic Teacher's Front (NDTF), an organisation of university teachers.
He was the member of Rajya Sabha (1994-2000) and held organisational responsibilities in BJP for several years.
- Agli Baar, Medal Beshumaar: PM Announces Task Force to Prepare India for Olympics
- France Top Court Suspends Burkini Ban
- Pak Regrets India's Rejection of 'Discuss Kashmir' Proposal
- Scorpene Data Leak Not a Big Worry: Parrikar
- Can't Order Establishment of 'Ram Rajya' in the Country: SC
- Haji Ali Dargah Should Allow Women, Says Bombay HC
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Whistleblower to Handover Scorpene Data Disk to Aus Govt: Newspaper
- Kanhaiya, Two Others Granted Regular Bail in Sedition Case
- Odisha Govt Admits Lapses, Man Says No Heed Paid by Hospital
- Are Decisions Taken by Cabinet Being Implemented, PM Seeks to Know
- AAP Removes Chhotepur as Punjab Convenor
- Cong Raking Up Needless Controversies for Political Gains: Naidu
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED