Govt to Have Zero Tolerance for Terrorism, Extremism: Prez
Promising zero tolerance towards communal violence, the Narendra Modi government today said a national policy will be framed in consultation with states to curb the menace.
President Pranab Mukherjee said the new government will ensure utmost vigil in the area of internal security.
"A policy of zero tolerance towards terrorism, extremism, riots and crime will be pursued...A national plan will be chalked out in consultation with the state governments to effectively curb incidents of communal violence and the challenges posed by left wing extremism," he said.
The BJP had earlier opposed the UPA government's move to enact a stringent Communal Violence Bill, terming it as "the most obnoxious piece of legislation in independent India".
The party was maintaining that the proposed legislation would hurt the federal structure of the country as it provides for direct central intervention in case of riots.
The president said states will be assisted for modernisation of police infrastructure and equipment to tackle new forms of terrorism, including narco-terrorism and cyber threats.
Mukherjee said the government will take steps to equip the security forces with the latest technology and to improve their working conditions.
Observing that utmost vigil will be maintained on internal security, the president said a policy of "zero tolerance towards terrorism, extremism, riots and crime" will be pursued, while police will be modernised to tackle new forms of terror like narco terrorism and cyber threats.
"A national plan will be chalked out in consultation with state governments to effectively curb incidents of communal violence and the challenges posed by Left wing extremism," he said.
FROM OUTLOOKcover storyThe clouds over Vajpayee's fate may have blown over but hitherto friendly voices—from within the BJP and the...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThere is quite an understandable outrage at the gomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 30 (PTI) Congress today said the Nmore from WIRES>>>
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'