Govt to Have Zero Tolerance for Terrorism, Extremism: Prez
Promising zero tolerance towards communal violence, the Narendra Modi government today said a national policy will be framed in consultation with states to curb the menace.
President Pranab Mukherjee said the new government will ensure utmost vigil in the area of internal security.
"A policy of zero tolerance towards terrorism, extremism, riots and crime will be pursued...A national plan will be chalked out in consultation with the state governments to effectively curb incidents of communal violence and the challenges posed by left wing extremism," he said.
The BJP had earlier opposed the UPA government's move to enact a stringent Communal Violence Bill, terming it as "the most obnoxious piece of legislation in independent India".
The party was maintaining that the proposed legislation would hurt the federal structure of the country as it provides for direct central intervention in case of riots.
The president said states will be assisted for modernisation of police infrastructure and equipment to tackle new forms of terrorism, including narco-terrorism and cyber threats.
Mukherjee said the government will take steps to equip the security forces with the latest technology and to improve their working conditions.
Observing that utmost vigil will be maintained on internal security, the president said a policy of "zero tolerance towards terrorism, extremism, riots and crime" will be pursued, while police will be modernised to tackle new forms of terror like narco terrorism and cyber threats.
"A national plan will be chalked out in consultation with state governments to effectively curb incidents of communal violence and the challenges posed by Left wing extremism," he said.
FROM OUTLOOKcover storyThe clouds over Vajpayee's fate may have blown over but hitherto friendly voices—from within the BJP and the...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBCloser to crucial assembly elections due next yearmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 30 (PTI) Congress today said the Nmore from WIRES>>>
- Eminent Painter S.H. Raza Dies at 94
- Kashmir Unrest: Curfew Lifted From Four Districts
- Chennai: Search Continues for Missing IAF Plane
- Kohli Scores Double Ton as India Take Upper Hand
- Clinton Picks Senator Tim Kaine as VP Running Mate
- 'Lone' Munich Shooter Kills Nine, Commits Suicide
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- BCCI President Thakur, Secy Shirke to Meet Lodha Panel
- 1,196 Pilgrims Leave for Amarnath Shrine
- Kashmir Unrest: DIG South Kashmir, SSP Anantnag Transferred
- Rajnath Should Announces CBMs, End Use of Pellet Guns: Cong
- China: 176 Killed or Missing in Heavy Rains in China
- Bush White House was Against Denying Visa to Modi: Ex-Official
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED