Govt to Have Zero Tolerance for Terrorism, Extremism: Prez
Promising zero tolerance towards communal violence, the Narendra Modi government today said a national policy will be framed in consultation with states to curb the menace.
President Pranab Mukherjee said the new government will ensure utmost vigil in the area of internal security.
"A policy of zero tolerance towards terrorism, extremism, riots and crime will be pursued...A national plan will be chalked out in consultation with the state governments to effectively curb incidents of communal violence and the challenges posed by left wing extremism," he said.
The BJP had earlier opposed the UPA government's move to enact a stringent Communal Violence Bill, terming it as "the most obnoxious piece of legislation in independent India".
The party was maintaining that the proposed legislation would hurt the federal structure of the country as it provides for direct central intervention in case of riots.
The president said states will be assisted for modernisation of police infrastructure and equipment to tackle new forms of terrorism, including narco-terrorism and cyber threats.
Mukherjee said the government will take steps to equip the security forces with the latest technology and to improve their working conditions.
Observing that utmost vigil will be maintained on internal security, the president said a policy of "zero tolerance towards terrorism, extremism, riots and crime" will be pursued, while police will be modernised to tackle new forms of terror like narco terrorism and cyber threats.
"A national plan will be chalked out in consultation with state governments to effectively curb incidents of communal violence and the challenges posed by Left wing extremism," he said.
- Forced to Marry Pak Man, Uzma Returns, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- HRD Minister Assures To Declare CBSE Results On Time
- Maharashtra CM Escapes Unhurt After His Helicopter Crash Lands In Latur
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10