Govt Takes a Tough Stand on RJs Mimicking MPs
Several MPs today voiced objections to radio jockeys (RJs) making fun of the lawmakers and cracking crude jokes on them, prompting the government to say that it would look into the matter.
The issue was raised by actress-turned-politician Jaya Bachchan in the Rajya Sabha.
"They (comments) are absolutely objectionable, very bad and the latest thing is that they have started giving news of Parliament and they mimic a lot of MPs who have spoken," she said.
Asking whether I&B Minister Prakash Javadekar was aware of language used and jokes made by RJs, she said, "So, are you going to do something about it because this is really not palatable?"
Tarun Vijay (BJP) and Satish Chandra Misra (BSP) associated with the views of Jaya Bachchan.
Outside Parliament, noted lyricist and Rajya Sabha MP Javed Akhtar said one should not be extra sensitive as long as it was not vulgar. He, however, said that things should also not cross the level of decency.
Asked for his reaction on RJs mimicking Parliamentarians, he said, "As long as it is not vulgar, it is not crude, it is not insulting anybody, one should not be extra sensitive about this thing. If it is funny, if it is in good humour then one should laugh it off."
Javadekar termed the issue as "serious" and said there were complaints of private channel RJs using "double meaning" talks.
"... Regarding commentary, what she (Bachchan) has said is absolutely serious and and we have an Electronic Media Monitoring Centre, which is monitoring this. We are contemplating how to rectify this rising trend after monitoring the reports at the earliest," he said.
Later the Minister tweeted: "I never said we object to mimicry on MPs. Anybody can Mimic us. People can make fun; we never mind. Today Jayaji and other MPs raised objections on vulgarity and double meaning jokes by RJs. I said 'we'll look into it".
- Major Who Tied Civilian To Army Jeep, Awarded
- Indian Cabbie Abused And Assaulted In Australia
- Rawal Wants Arundhati Roy Tied To Army Jeep Instead Of Stone-Pelters
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10