Govt Relaxes Onion Import Norms to Boost Domestic Supply
In a cautious move against possible hike in onion prices in the festive season, the government today relaxed norms for import of the kitchen staple till November to boost domestic supply and check rates.
As per official data, onion prices are at present stable in the range of Rs 20-30 kg in most places. Onion is availabe at Rs 30 per kg in Delhi, Rs 32 per kg in Mumbai and Rs 25 per kg in Chennai and Kolkata.
"Ministry of Agriculture has decided, in light of public concern over high prices of onion in the market, to allow derogation from the conditions of fumigation and endorsement on PSC as per the Plant Quarantine Order, 2003 for onion imports up to 30th November, 2014 on the following conditions," an official stastement said.
The government has allowed fumigation of consignments of imported onions after arrival at Indian port through an accredited agency and has also waived off the four times penal fees on account of non-compliance of the fumigation norms.
"The consignment would be inspected thoroughly by quarantine officials and released only if found free from pests and diseases of concern to India.
An Agriculure Ministry official said that the import norms for onion have been relaxed to facilitate smooth shipment of the commodity during the period of supply crunch.
Last month, the government had reduced the minimum export price of onion to USD 300 per tonne in view of softening of prices and increased availability of the vegetable in the domestic market.
Onion production is estimated to have risen to 192 lakh tonnes (LT) during 2013-14 crop year (July-June), from 168 LT in 2012-13. Exports meanwhile fell to 13.58 LT last fiscal from 18.22 LT in 2012-13.
The domestic demand during the lean period from June to November is met through stored rabi (winter) and fresh kharif (summer) produce.
FROM OUTLOOKEconomyPre-election moves keep inflation at a below-seven rate, at the cost of industry...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor The RecordGood morning. It is a pleasure to welcome learnedmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESMumbai, Sept 3 (PTI) Prices of castorseeds futuresmore from WIRES>>>
- Absconding UP BJP Leader Dayashankar Singh Arrested From Bihar
- Gurgaon: Thousands Stranded on NH-8 Due to Waterlogging, Heavy Rains
- Govt Lists GST Bill For Consideration in Rajya Sabha
- One San Diego Cop Killed, Another Wounded in Shooting: Police
- Protestors Defy Curfew, Clash With Security Forces
- Indian National Not Executed in Indonesia: Swaraj
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Salman Poaching Case: Key Witness Demands Police Protection
- Pregnant Woman Crushed to Death by Bus in Andhra
- Need to Have Dialogue With People of Kashmir: V.K. Singh
- Odisha: BJD MLA, Party Workers Thrash BJP Supporters, Case Registered
- Eight Held for Protests During BSP Leader Siddiqui's Visit in UP
- Judge Recuses From Hearing BJP MLA's Bail Petition
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED