Govt Plans to Make Consumer Fora as Authority
Government is considering a proposal to make the three-tier consumer redressal mechanism as an "authority" as the current set up have not been fully able to address consumer grievances.
Food and Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan informed Lok Sabha today his Ministry is considering the proposal as many complaints lodged in consumer fora like -- District Fora, State Commissions and National Disputes Redressal Commission -- continue to drag for years without any outcome.
"The cases in consumer fora, which should have been ideally settled in three months, continue for three years. So, we are considering to make it as authority," he said during Question Hour.
Paswan said government will make all efforts to revamp the consumer fora so that the interests of consumers are protected fully.
The Minister said the government will appoint the members of the proposed consumer authority through state public service commission at state level and through the Union Public Service Commission at national level.
"We want to protect the interests of the consumers at any cost," he said replying to a supplementary question. Replying to another question, Paswan said government may involve the panchayati raj institutions for better service of Public Distribution System.
Paswan said the government has budgeted to offer Rs 1,36,000 crore as subsidy for foodgrains to be distributed under PDS. The Minister said at present 621 district consumer fora, 35 state consumer commissions and at apex level National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission are functioning.
"Till July 23, 2014 a total of 41,69,564 cases have been filed and 38,01,037 cases have been disposed in all these consumer fora, thereby achieving a disposal rate of over 91 per cent," he said.
Paswan said the government has been running a multi-media campaign under the theme 'Jago Grahak Jago' to create awareness about the consumer rights and the Consumer Protection Act among the masses.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBBook ExtractIt was the last night of the twentieth century andmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Absconding UP BJP Leader Dayashankar Singh Arrested From Bihar
- Gurgaon: Thousands Stranded on NH-8 Due to Waterlogging, Heavy Rains
- Govt Lists GST Bill For Consideration in Rajya Sabha
- One San Diego Cop Killed, Another Wounded in Shooting: Police
- Curfew, Restrictions Re-Imposed in Kashmir
- Indian National Not Executed in Indonesia: Swaraj
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Swamy Attacks Rajan for 'Dip' in MSME Growth
- India Should Hit Back at Pakistan for Terror: BJP MP
- Give Slaughter House Licences to 'Unemployed' Opposition: BJP MP
- Pune: Nine Killed As Slab of Under-Construction Tower Caves in
- Two Million Using Free Wi-Fi at Railway Stations in India: Pichai
- Cong Asks BJP to 'Come Clean' Over Mehbooba's Remarks on Wani
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED