Govt Plans to Make Consumer Fora as Authority
Government is considering a proposal to make the three-tier consumer redressal mechanism as an "authority" as the current set up have not been fully able to address consumer grievances.
Food and Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan informed Lok Sabha today his Ministry is considering the proposal as many complaints lodged in consumer fora like -- District Fora, State Commissions and National Disputes Redressal Commission -- continue to drag for years without any outcome.
"The cases in consumer fora, which should have been ideally settled in three months, continue for three years. So, we are considering to make it as authority," he said during Question Hour.
Paswan said government will make all efforts to revamp the consumer fora so that the interests of consumers are protected fully.
The Minister said the government will appoint the members of the proposed consumer authority through state public service commission at state level and through the Union Public Service Commission at national level.
"We want to protect the interests of the consumers at any cost," he said replying to a supplementary question. Replying to another question, Paswan said government may involve the panchayati raj institutions for better service of Public Distribution System.
Paswan said the government has budgeted to offer Rs 1,36,000 crore as subsidy for foodgrains to be distributed under PDS. The Minister said at present 621 district consumer fora, 35 state consumer commissions and at apex level National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission are functioning.
"Till July 23, 2014 a total of 41,69,564 cases have been filed and 38,01,037 cases have been disposed in all these consumer fora, thereby achieving a disposal rate of over 91 per cent," he said.
Paswan said the government has been running a multi-media campaign under the theme 'Jago Grahak Jago' to create awareness about the consumer rights and the Consumer Protection Act among the masses.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman