Govt Notifies Increase in FDI Limit to 49% in Defence Sector
The government today notified increase in foreign direct investment (FDI) limit to 49 per cent through approval route in the defence sector.
The move is aimed at boosting domestic industry of the country which imports up to 70 per cent of its military hardware.
FDI ceiling in the sensitive defence sector has been hiked from current 26 per cent, with the condition that the company seeking permission of the government for FDI up to 49 per cent should be an Indian company owned and controlled by Indians.
Further, foreign direct investment proposals above 49 per cent will have to seek the approval of the Cabinet Committee on Security on "case to case basis, wherever it is likely to result in access to modern and state of the art technology in the country," according to the press note of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP).
It also said that FDI limit of 49 per cent is composite and includes all kinds of foreign investments - FDI, FIIs, FPIs, NRIs, foreign venture capital investors (FVCIs) and qualified foreign investors (QFIs).
However, portfolio investments by FPIs/FIIs/NRIs/QFIs and investments by FVCIs together will not exceed 24 per cent of the total equity of the investee/joint venture company.
"Portfolio investments will be under automatic route," it added.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 14 Men Molest 2 Women, Posts Video On The Social Media
- Defending The Use of 'Human Shield', General Bipin Rawat Says 'Dirty War' In Kashmir Has To Be Fought With 'Innovative Ways'
- After Rahul, Now Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- Three Booked For Abducting, Raping Minor Girl In Rajasthan
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10