Govt in Process of Revamping Indira Awaas Yojana
The Centre today said that it has initiated action to revamp Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) and modalities are being worked out in this regard.
In his reply in Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for Rural Development Upendra Kushwaha said that in compliance with the Government's objective of providing a 'pucca' house to all, the Ministry has initiated action to revamp the IAY scheme.
Modalities are being worked out, he added.
The Minister was replying to a question on whether the Government is considering a proposal to revamp the IAY.
With a view to meet the housing needs of rural poor, IAY was launched in 1985 as a sub-scheme of Jawahar Rozgar Yojana. It is being implemented as an independent scheme since 1996.
IAY aims at helping rural people below the poverty-line belonging to SCs/STs, freed bonded labourers and non-SC/ST categories in construction of dwelling units and upgradation of existing unserviceable kutcha houses by providing assistance in the form of full grant.
From 1995-96, the IAY benefits have been extended to widows or next-of-kin of defence personnel killed in action. Benefits have also been extended to ex-servicemen and retired members of the paramilitary forces as long as they fulfil the normal eligibility conditions of IAY.
Three per cent of funds are reserved for the disabled persons living below the poverty-line in rural areas. Since 2006-07, IAY funds are also being earmarked for minorities.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Gujarat ATS Arrests Two ISIS Suspects From Rajkot And Bhavnagar
- Army Examination Cancelled At 6 Centres After Question Papers Leak
- Tight Security In Haryana As Jats Observe 'Black Day'
- Some Students 'Fantasise' About Breaking India Under The Guise Of Freedom Of Speech, Says Kiren Rijiju
- Public Sector Banks May Go On A Strike On Feb 28
- Shiv Sena Our 'True Well Wisher', Say Winner Muslim Candidates
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan