Govt in Process of Revamping Indira Awaas Yojana
The Centre today said that it has initiated action to revamp Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) and modalities are being worked out in this regard.
In his reply in Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for Rural Development Upendra Kushwaha said that in compliance with the Government's objective of providing a 'pucca' house to all, the Ministry has initiated action to revamp the IAY scheme.
Modalities are being worked out, he added.
The Minister was replying to a question on whether the Government is considering a proposal to revamp the IAY.
With a view to meet the housing needs of rural poor, IAY was launched in 1985 as a sub-scheme of Jawahar Rozgar Yojana. It is being implemented as an independent scheme since 1996.
IAY aims at helping rural people below the poverty-line belonging to SCs/STs, freed bonded labourers and non-SC/ST categories in construction of dwelling units and upgradation of existing unserviceable kutcha houses by providing assistance in the form of full grant.
From 1995-96, the IAY benefits have been extended to widows or next-of-kin of defence personnel killed in action. Benefits have also been extended to ex-servicemen and retired members of the paramilitary forces as long as they fulfil the normal eligibility conditions of IAY.
Three per cent of funds are reserved for the disabled persons living below the poverty-line in rural areas. Since 2006-07, IAY funds are also being earmarked for minorities.
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED