Govt Hikes Import Tariff Value on Gold & Silver
The government today hiked the import tariff value on gold and silver to USD 426 per 10 grams and USD 650 per kg, respectively, taking cues from firm global prices.
For the first fortnight of this month, the tariff value on imported gold stands at USD 421 per 10 grams, while that for silver at USD 671 per kg.
The import tariff value is the base price at which customs duty is determined to prevent under-invoicing. It is revised on a fortnightly basis considering volatile global prices.
The hike in tariff value on imported gold and silver has been notified by the Central Board of Excise and Customs, an official statement said.
In London market, gold was trading firm at USD 1,316.43 an ounce today, while the yellow metal was available at Rs 28,800 per 10 grams in the national capital.
Gold is the second largest import item for India after petroleum. The government has imposed several restriction to curb imports to contain current account deficit (CAD).
Recently, Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had pitched for relaxing gold import duty saying it was 'badly' hurting the gems and jewellery industry.
The curbs on gold imports may have had impact on CAD but "it has also brought back the horrible days of smuggling of gold," she had said.
To reduce trade deficit, the government last year raised its gold import duty to a record 10 per cent and made it mandatory to export 20 per cent of the imported gold.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- BMC: Congress’s Gurudas Kamat Opposes Tie Up With Shiv Sena
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman