Govt Hikes Import Tariff Value on Gold & Silver
The government today hiked the import tariff value on gold and silver to USD 426 per 10 grams and USD 650 per kg, respectively, taking cues from firm global prices.
For the first fortnight of this month, the tariff value on imported gold stands at USD 421 per 10 grams, while that for silver at USD 671 per kg.
The import tariff value is the base price at which customs duty is determined to prevent under-invoicing. It is revised on a fortnightly basis considering volatile global prices.
The hike in tariff value on imported gold and silver has been notified by the Central Board of Excise and Customs, an official statement said.
In London market, gold was trading firm at USD 1,316.43 an ounce today, while the yellow metal was available at Rs 28,800 per 10 grams in the national capital.
Gold is the second largest import item for India after petroleum. The government has imposed several restriction to curb imports to contain current account deficit (CAD).
Recently, Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had pitched for relaxing gold import duty saying it was 'badly' hurting the gems and jewellery industry.
The curbs on gold imports may have had impact on CAD but "it has also brought back the horrible days of smuggling of gold," she had said.
To reduce trade deficit, the government last year raised its gold import duty to a record 10 per cent and made it mandatory to export 20 per cent of the imported gold.
FROM OUTLOOKEconomyPre-election moves keep inflation at a below-seven rate, at the cost of industry...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor The RecordGood morning. It is a pleasure to welcome learnedmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESMumbai, Sept 3 (PTI) Prices of castorseeds futuresmore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED