Govt Hikes Import Tariff Value on Gold & Silver
The government today hiked the import tariff value on gold and silver to USD 426 per 10 grams and USD 650 per kg, respectively, taking cues from firm global prices.
For the first fortnight of this month, the tariff value on imported gold stands at USD 421 per 10 grams, while that for silver at USD 671 per kg.
The import tariff value is the base price at which customs duty is determined to prevent under-invoicing. It is revised on a fortnightly basis considering volatile global prices.
The hike in tariff value on imported gold and silver has been notified by the Central Board of Excise and Customs, an official statement said.
In London market, gold was trading firm at USD 1,316.43 an ounce today, while the yellow metal was available at Rs 28,800 per 10 grams in the national capital.
Gold is the second largest import item for India after petroleum. The government has imposed several restriction to curb imports to contain current account deficit (CAD).
Recently, Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had pitched for relaxing gold import duty saying it was 'badly' hurting the gems and jewellery industry.
The curbs on gold imports may have had impact on CAD but "it has also brought back the horrible days of smuggling of gold," she had said.
To reduce trade deficit, the government last year raised its gold import duty to a record 10 per cent and made it mandatory to export 20 per cent of the imported gold.
FROM OUTLOOKEconomyPre-election moves keep inflation at a below-seven rate, at the cost of industry...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor The RecordGood morning. It is a pleasure to welcome learnedmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESMumbai, Sept 3 (PTI) Prices of castorseeds futuresmore from WIRES>>>
- Indian Origin Punjabi Bus Driver Burnt to Death in Australia
- SC Dismisses Petition, Says Armed Forces Answerable To Government
- Fifteen Pakistan Rangers Killed In BSF's Retaliatory Fire In The Past Week
- Judges Selection: SC Slams Centre for Bringing Courts to a Grinding Halt
- US Charges 61 People in Multi-Million Dollar Indian Call Center Scam
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Along LoC in Jammu, Rajouri, Kathua, Girl Injured
- Daily Curator: While India Plays Spy-Spy With Pakistan, China Issues Gentle Reminder
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- India Third in Terror Deaths After ISIS-Boko Haram Areas: SC Told
- War No Option, Pak Should Take Initiative for Peace: Mehbooba
- Pak Army Says No Soldiers Killed in Firing at Border
- DND Flyway onnecting Noida to Delhi to Remain Toll Free: SC
- Swamy Asks PM to Form Multi-Agency SIT to Probe Tatas
- Northern Ireland Rejects Brexit Court Challenge
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED