Govt for Transparency in Utilisation of Funds by NGOs
Pitching for greater accountability and transparency in utilisation of funds by NGOs, government today said it supports punishing those found guilty of such misconduct.
Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thaawar Chand Gehlot told the Lok Sabha that 26 cases of alleged misuse of funds by NGOs have come to light.
Responding to a supplementary, he said a probe is on against Dr Zakir Hussain Memorial Trust and if need be an FIR would be lodged.
Former Union Minister Salman Khurshid is associated with the trust.
The complaint against the trust relates to non submission of documents in respect of utilisation of grants in aid released during 2010-11, the Minister said.
In replying to another supplementary, he said at times while the Centre finds faults with an NGO, the state government gives a contrary report leading to delays in finalising charges.
Gehlot said there is a provision of annual and six-monthly appraisal by central government on the functioning of NGOs.
He also said government seeks to have a better say on issues like misutilisation of funds and is examining possible "flaws" in the present system to curb such practices.
The Minister said in the event of "proven misappropriation" of funds by an NGO, the Ministry initiates action to blacklist that organisation.
FROM OUTLOOKCultureThe buzz is: an exclusive coterie rules the roost in the country's literary foundations...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBThe Freedom SeriesThe self-declared patriotic upper caste Hindu groumore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESTo curb the misuse of tax exemption given to charimore from WIRES>>>
- Sidhu Likely to Join AAP in August
- NADA Concludes Hearing, Decision on Narsingh's Fate Deferred
- FM Hits Back at Rahul, Says NDA Has Brought Down Inflation
- Eminent Writer Mahasweta Devi Dies at 90
- Rajnath to Raise Pak-Sponsored Terror, No Bilateral With Pak Counterpart
- Obama Passes Baton to Clinton, Says No One More Qualified
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Modi Follows Person Who Hurled Abuses at Delhi CM, Claims AAP
- Bus Rams Into Tree in Solapur District, Four Dead
- Fed Up With Harassment, College Girl Ends Life in Malegaon
- Indian-American Girl Becomes Youngest Delegate at DNC
- 14-Year-Old Boy Wins International Maths Competition
- Autorickshaw, Taxi Unions Call Off Strike in Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED