Govt Cuts Onion MEP to USD 300/Tonne
Government today slashed the minimum export price (MEP) of onion by a steep USD 200, USD 50 more than what the Union Cabinet decided yesterday.
The decision follows softening of prices and increased availability of the vegetable in the domestic market.
"Export of all varieties of onions...Will be subject to a MEP of USD 300 per MT," Director General of Foreign Trade Pravir Kumar said in a notification that brings down the MEP from USD 500 to USD 300.
Telecom and Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad yesterday had said after the Cabinet meeting that "the MEP of onion has been brought down to USD 350 per tonne as its availability has increased".
In June this year, the MEP on onion was re-introduced at USD 300 per tonne, which was further raised to USD 500 per tonne in July this year as prices moved upwards.
Onion prices were rising due to speculation amid anticipation of below normal monsoon despite sufficient supply in the country.
During June, the wholesale price of onion at Lasalgoan in Maharashtra -- Asia's largest onion market -- had risen by about 80 per cent to Rs 18.50 per kg.
At present, the rates are hovering around Rs 13-14 per kg at Lasalgoan.
Onion production is estimated to have risen to 192 lakh tonnes during 2013—14 crop year (July—June), from 168 lakh tonnes in 2012—13. Exports meanwhile fell to 13.58 lakh tonnes last fiscal from 18.22 lakh tonnes in 2012—13.
The domestic demand during the lean period from June to November is met through stored rabi (winter) and fresh kharif (summer) produce.
- Indian Army Launched Surgical Strikes in PoK
- PM Chairs CCS Meeting to Review Situation Along LoC
- Meeting on Most Favoured Nation Status to Pakistan Postponed
- Ceasefire Violations Along LoC in Naugam Sector, Poonch
- CBSE Likely to Make Class 10 Board Exams Compulsory From 2018
- Three Injured in Shooting at Elementary School in US, Suspect in Custody: Police
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Congress Congratulates Army on Anti-Terror Surgical Strikes
- Surgical Strike: 7 Terror Launch Pads Targeted, Heliborne, Ground Forces Used
- Naxal Killed in Face-Off With Police in Chhattisgarh
- Rahul Gandhi Flays RSS, Says Its Trying to 'Divide India'
- SC Reserves Order on Petitions to Cancel Shahahbuddin's Bail
- Now, Atif Aslam's Gurgaon Concert Scrapped
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED