Govt Cuts Minimum Export Price of onion to USD 350/Tonne
The government today reduced the minimum export price (MEP) of onion to USD 350 per tonne following improvement in domestic supply situation and softening of prices.
In June this year, the MEP on onion was re-introduced at USD 300 per tonne which was further raised to USD 500 per tonne in July this years as prices had continued to move upwards.
"The MEP of onion has been brought down to USD 350 per tonne as its availability has increased," Telecom and Law Minister Ravi Shanker Prasad told reporters here after a Cabinet meeting.
"When our government came in power we had increased the MEP of onion to USD 500 per tonne from USD 350 per tonne to make the exports less competitive," the Minister said.
Onion prices were rising due to speculation amid anticipation of below normal monsoon despite sufficient supply in the country.
During June, the wholesale price of onion at Lasalgoan in Maharashtra -- Asia's largest onion market -- had risen by about 80 per cent to Rs 18.50 per kg. At present, the rates are hovering around Rs 13-14 per kg at Lasalgoan.
Onion production is estimated to have risen to 192 lakh tonnes during 2013—14 crop year (July—June), from 168 lakh tonne in 2012—13. Exports meanwhile fell to 13.58 lakh tonnes last fiscal from 18.22 lakh tonnes in 2012—13.
The domestic demand during the lean period from June to November is met through stored rabi (winter) and fresh kharif (summer) produce.
FROM OUTLOOKcover storyThe clouds over Vajpayee's fate may have blown over but hitherto friendly voices—from within the BJP and the...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThere is quite an understandable outrage at the gomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 30 (PTI) Congress today said the Nmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Twice in Kathua, Rajouri, Jawan Injured
- Twin Raids in Northern Iraq by Suicide Bombers, 16 Killed
- Don't Release Funds to State Till They Implement Lodha Panel Recommendations: SC Tells BCCI
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- Films, TV Potent Means to Improve Indo-Pak Ties: Digvijay
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Arrested in Wife's Suicide Case, Father Surrenders
- Irrigation Investment Essential to Boost Farm Output: Jaitley
- Army Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC in Poonch
- Try to Bring Back Youths to Mainstream: Mehbooba to Police
- SC Asks Parsvnath to Hand Over Flat to MoS Rathore in Two Days
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'