Govt Cuts Minimum Export Price of onion to USD 350/Tonne
The government today reduced the minimum export price (MEP) of onion to USD 350 per tonne following improvement in domestic supply situation and softening of prices.
In June this year, the MEP on onion was re-introduced at USD 300 per tonne which was further raised to USD 500 per tonne in July this years as prices had continued to move upwards.
"The MEP of onion has been brought down to USD 350 per tonne as its availability has increased," Telecom and Law Minister Ravi Shanker Prasad told reporters here after a Cabinet meeting.
"When our government came in power we had increased the MEP of onion to USD 500 per tonne from USD 350 per tonne to make the exports less competitive," the Minister said.
Onion prices were rising due to speculation amid anticipation of below normal monsoon despite sufficient supply in the country.
During June, the wholesale price of onion at Lasalgoan in Maharashtra -- Asia's largest onion market -- had risen by about 80 per cent to Rs 18.50 per kg. At present, the rates are hovering around Rs 13-14 per kg at Lasalgoan.
Onion production is estimated to have risen to 192 lakh tonnes during 2013—14 crop year (July—June), from 168 lakh tonne in 2012—13. Exports meanwhile fell to 13.58 lakh tonnes last fiscal from 18.22 lakh tonnes in 2012—13.
The domestic demand during the lean period from June to November is met through stored rabi (winter) and fresh kharif (summer) produce.
FROM OUTLOOKcover storyThe clouds over Vajpayee's fate may have blown over but hitherto friendly voices—from within the BJP and the...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBCloser to crucial assembly elections due next yearmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 30 (PTI) Congress today said the Nmore from WIRES>>>
- Yogeshwar's London Games Bronze Upgraded to Silver
- Trump Floats Conspiracy Theory of Huma's Terrorist Links
- Curfew Lifted From Pulwama, Situation in Kashmir Improving
- Three Hurt in Suicide Blast at China's Kyrgyzstan Embassy
- Bengal Assembly Passes Motion Against Centre's 'Discrimination'
- Small Group Holding Majority to Ransom: Parrikar on Kashmir
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- 'The Australian' to Take Down Published Scorpene Documents
- About 25 PAAS Members Detained Ahead of PM's Gujarat Visit
- Haji Ali Dargah Management Holds Deliberations Before Moving SC
- BJP Members Protest Over 'Derogatory' Remarks Against Modi
- Maharashtra: Man Held for Raping Minor Girl
- Djokovic Beats Scare, Nadal Eases at Revamped US Open
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED