Govt Cancels Auction of Three Coal Blocks: Goyal
The auction of three coal blocks has been cancelled as issues related to certain clearances need to be "revisited", the government said today.
"With the approval of competent authority it has been decided to cancel. Auction as issues concerning prior clearances etc. Need to be revisited," Coal and Power Minister Piyush Goyal said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.
The erstwhile UPA government had in February issued notice inviting applications, offering three coal blocks for mining to companies engaged in production of steel, cement and sponge iron.
"A notice inviting applications (NIA) offering three coal blocks (for steel, sponge iron and cement) was issued ... And two bids were received by Central Mine Planning & Design Institute Ltd up to the bid due date (June, 25, 2014) for Andal Babuisol coal block for Sponge Iron," Goyal said.
Of three blocks, which have total reserves of 500 million tonnes, two are in Jharkhand and one is in West Bengal.
Jhirki and Jhirki (West) mine having reserves of 267.91 million tonnes in East Bokaro coalfield, Jharkhand was offered for steel industry.
Andal Babuisol block having reserves of 103.841 million tonnes in Raniganj coalfield, West Bengal was for Sponge iron industry, while Tokisud-II block having reserves of 127.692 million tonnes in South Karanpura coalfield of Jharkhand was for cement sector.
The former UPA government had drawn flak for delaying auction.
CAG had earlier said allotment of 57 mines to private firms without auction had resulted in a notional loss of Rs 1.8 lakh crore to the exchequer.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman