Govt Aiming at 24X7 Power Supply: Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said his government was aiming at providing 24-hour power supply across the country as he outlined his vision for infrastructure development with a nationwide network of roads, power transmission lines and power and water grids.
He also equated saving of electricity with service to the nation.
"The dream of my government is to provide electricity all seven days a week, 365 days a year, 24 hours a day to every village," Modi said addressing a gathering after dedicating to the nation 765 KV Solapur - Raichur transmission lines and four laning of Pune-Solapur section of NH-9.
The Prime Minister also laid the foundation stone for four laning of Solapur-Maharashtra / Karnataka Border Section of NH-9.
"Electricity is produced and then supplied but one more important task is that of saving it. Some people think that to serve the country one has to become MLA or MP or join the defence forces. Saving electricity it is also a big service to the country," he said.
He asked the students and youth to check their monthly electricity bills and discuss with family members about how to bring down the consumption. "Let us pledge to conserve electricity. It will help our families the most. We should consider it our national duty," the Prime Minister said.
"Generating electricity is expensive but saving it is easy and by this we can make a big difference," he said.
The Prime Minister shared the concern of Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan over power plants in the state remaining idle due to shortage of coal and gas.
"As Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan was saying, I can understand the problem. I said the same thing (about non availability of coal and gas) when I was the Chief Minister of Gujarat but nobody paid heed.
"Now it is our responsibility. I will not run away from the responsibility. Using innovative technology, coal excavation would be done without adversely affecting the environment and we will work towards ensuring that power reaches every corner of the country," Modi said.
Referring to his government's decision to grant permission to raise the height of the Narmada Dam, Modi said once completed Maharashtra would get electricity worth Rs 400 crore from the project every year for free.
The Prime Minister said roads and highways development will be accorded priority by his government, drawing inspiration from the Golden Quadrilateral and Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana launched by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
"Road development is linked to all the sectors and with this, employment will also increase. Along with that we also have to increase rail network. Good road network is also important for the growth of tourism.
"Today the nation wants highways and I-ways or information ways. Every village must be integrated. It is today's requirement," he added.
Citing the advances made by South Korea, the Prime Minister said countries which invested in infrastructure creation reaped the fruits of development and prosperity.
Talking about Solapur, Modi said, "its identity is linked to textile industry, which gives maximum employment, including to the poorest ones.
"We are determined to encourage textile industries across the country. We are determined to provide employment to youth in all sectors. If they get jobs, they will have the strength to fulfil the expectations of our country. Many elections have been fought on the slogan of Bijli-Sadak-Paani. If we give due importance to infrastructure, our people have the talent to turn clay into gold," he said.
FROM OUTLOOKcover storyThe clouds over Vajpayee's fate may have blown over but hitherto friendly voices—from within the BJP and the...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBInterviewThe nation-wide strike on Friday called jointly bymore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 30 (PTI) Congress today said the Nmore from WIRES>>>
- Indian Army Launched Surgical Strikes in PoK
- PM Chairs CCS Meeting to Review Situation Along LoC
- Meeting on Most Favoured Nation Status to Pakistan Postponed
- Ceasefire Violations Along LoC in Naugam Sector, Poonch
- CBSE Likely to Make Class 10 Board Exams Compulsory From 2018
- Three Injured in Shooting at Elementary School in US, Suspect in Custody: Police
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Congress Congratulates Army on Anti-Terror Surgical Strikes
- Surgical Strike: 7 Terror Launch Pads Targeted, Heliborne, Ground Forces Used
- Naxal Killed in Face-Off With Police in Chhattisgarh
- Rahul Gandhi Flays RSS, Says Its Trying to 'Divide India'
- SC Reserves Order on Petitions to Cancel Shahahbuddin's Bail
- Now, Atif Aslam's Gurgaon Concert Scrapped
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED