Govt Aiming at 24X7 Power Supply: Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said his government was aiming at providing 24-hour power supply across the country as he outlined his vision for infrastructure development with a nationwide network of roads, power transmission lines and power and water grids.
He also equated saving of electricity with service to the nation.
"The dream of my government is to provide electricity all seven days a week, 365 days a year, 24 hours a day to every village," Modi said addressing a gathering after dedicating to the nation 765 KV Solapur - Raichur transmission lines and four laning of Pune-Solapur section of NH-9.
The Prime Minister also laid the foundation stone for four laning of Solapur-Maharashtra / Karnataka Border Section of NH-9.
"Electricity is produced and then supplied but one more important task is that of saving it. Some people think that to serve the country one has to become MLA or MP or join the defence forces. Saving electricity it is also a big service to the country," he said.
He asked the students and youth to check their monthly electricity bills and discuss with family members about how to bring down the consumption. "Let us pledge to conserve electricity. It will help our families the most. We should consider it our national duty," the Prime Minister said.
"Generating electricity is expensive but saving it is easy and by this we can make a big difference," he said.
The Prime Minister shared the concern of Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan over power plants in the state remaining idle due to shortage of coal and gas.
"As Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan was saying, I can understand the problem. I said the same thing (about non availability of coal and gas) when I was the Chief Minister of Gujarat but nobody paid heed.
"Now it is our responsibility. I will not run away from the responsibility. Using innovative technology, coal excavation would be done without adversely affecting the environment and we will work towards ensuring that power reaches every corner of the country," Modi said.
Referring to his government's decision to grant permission to raise the height of the Narmada Dam, Modi said once completed Maharashtra would get electricity worth Rs 400 crore from the project every year for free.
The Prime Minister said roads and highways development will be accorded priority by his government, drawing inspiration from the Golden Quadrilateral and Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana launched by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
"Road development is linked to all the sectors and with this, employment will also increase. Along with that we also have to increase rail network. Good road network is also important for the growth of tourism.
"Today the nation wants highways and I-ways or information ways. Every village must be integrated. It is today's requirement," he added.
Citing the advances made by South Korea, the Prime Minister said countries which invested in infrastructure creation reaped the fruits of development and prosperity.
Talking about Solapur, Modi said, "its identity is linked to textile industry, which gives maximum employment, including to the poorest ones.
"We are determined to encourage textile industries across the country. We are determined to provide employment to youth in all sectors. If they get jobs, they will have the strength to fulfil the expectations of our country. Many elections have been fought on the slogan of Bijli-Sadak-Paani. If we give due importance to infrastructure, our people have the talent to turn clay into gold," he said.
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Khalsa College Postpones Drama Event Till ABVP Drama Pacifies
- India Likely to Be Less Affected by Global Economic Shocks: IMF
- Ticket Collector Bites Off Senior Officer's Nose In A Fit Of Rage
- 60-Year-Old Poet Thrashed For Stopping DTC Bus Conductor From Urinating On Road
- 130 Bodies Of Fighters Beheaded By Rival Jihadists Found in Syria Mass Graves
- BMC Mayor Will Be From Our Party, BJP Used Deceitful Means to Destabilise Our Rule: Sena
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman