Goa Theatre Artist Stages Drama Amid Sene Threats
One of the leading theatre artists of Goa presented his play today amid tight police security, after initially cancelling it following threats of disruption by Sri Ram Sene (SRS).
Goa's noted theatre director Tousif de Navelim who was scheduled to stage Konkani drama Akantvadi Goeant Nakat (Don't want terrorists in Goa) was asked not to go ahead with the performance by Sri Ram Sene outfit leaders, who had claimed that the drama was aiming to defame Sene Chief Pramod Muthalik.
Tousif, yesterday said that they would stage the drama at Gomant Vidya Niketan Margao, 35 kms away from here, as per the schedule, however, withdrew it this morning, saying that it might create law and order problem in the city.
"No entertainment can be entertainment with fear and anxiety in the mind of audience," the director said this morning announcing to cancel the drama.
However, a huge crowd had gathered at Margao Police station later in the day and insisted that the play should be staged, notwithstanding the threat.
Meanwhile, Sri Ram Sene Karnataka state organising secretary Gangadhar Kulkarni, addressing a press conference in Margao yesterday, had said that the drama was aimed at projecting Muthalik in a bad light.
"When Muthalik is fighting back terrorists in the state like Karnataka, terming him as the one, is unfortunate," he had said.
As per the earlier schedule to stage the drama today, the director released an advertisement in newspaper, appealing to people to watch it and said the public need not worry as police protection has been granted for the show.
Meanwhile, both NCP and Congress sympathised with the director stating that the incident is indication that Goa has been "Talibanised".
NCP Goa spokesman Trojano D'Melo today told reporters that the director was ready to sacrifice his talent for the sake of peace.
Goa Congress spokesman Durgadas Kamat said that freedom of expression in the state should not be hampered.
"We feel that the state is slowly progressing towards the Talibanisation way due to the fascists forces mushrooming up suddenly since BJP govt has come to power at the Centre," he said.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman