Goa: Mridula Sinha Sworn-In as Governor
Noted writer and senior BJP leader Mridula Sinha was today sworn-in as Governor of Goa, following the resignation of B V Wanchoo.
Bombay High Court Chief Justice Mohit Shah administered the oath of office to Sinha.
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar and other dignitaries were present at Raj Bhawan here on the occasion.
Goa had no full time Governor following Wanchoo's resignation from the post after his role was questioned in VVIP chopper deal.
Sinha, 71, becomes the first woman Governor of the state with a full-time charge.
Born on November 27, 1942, at Chhapra village in Muzaffarpur district of Bihar, Sinha is a renowned Hindi writer and former chairperson of Central Social Welfare Board (CSWB), Ministry of Human Resource Development.
She is also the former president of BJP Mahila Morcha. She had actively participated in 'Samagra Kranti' led by Jai Prakash Narayan.
After taking a post graduation degree in psychology, she completed her B.Ed. She started as a college lecturer at Dr S K Sinha Women's College, Motihari in Bihar and later became principal of Bharatiya Shishu Mandir at Muzaffarpur.
Sinha is married to Dr Ram Kripal Sinha, who was earlier a college lecturer and later became a Cabinet minister in the Bihar state government.
She has written more than 46 books in various disciplines. Her literary contributions include 'Jyon mehandi ko rang' (novel - a short film on Doordarshan was made based on the same), 'Nayi Devyani' (novel), 'Gharwaas'(novel), 'Sita puni boli' (novel) and many more.
Sinha has also written a biography on late Rajmata Vijayaraje Scindia.
Her story collections include 'Sakshatkar', 'Ek Diye Ki Diwali', 'Apna Jeevan' etc. She has also written essays like 'Aine ke saamne', 'Maanvi ke Naate' and 'Bihar Ki Lok Kathaye' for children.
She contributes regular columns in various national and regional Hindi newspapers, magazines and periodicals.
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'