Goa MLA Demands Special Bikini Beach, Sparks Controversy
An MLA belonging to the Maharashtravadi Gomantak Party (MGP), the alliance partner of BJP in Goa government, has sparked off a controversy with his demand for demarcation of a private 'paid' beach where women would be allowed to wear bikinis.
The legislator observed that such a dedicated beach will not only help in "curbing" any loss in tourism revenue in case of any ban on the swim-wear, but on the contrary will boost the revenue from tourism.
"If some legislators feel that demanding a ban on bikinis would result in the revenue loss due to fall in tourism then the state government can notify a bikini beach," MGP MLA Lavu Mamlatdar said here today.
When probed further about his demand, Mamlatdar said, "Don't you understand, I am saying this sarcastically."
Mamlatdar's ruling party colleague and Public Works Department minister Ramakrishna Dhavalikar had first triggered a controversy last month when he demanded a ban on bikinis, mini-skirts and pubs in Goa because these were "against Indian culture", but backed off after Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar ruled out any such possibility. He, however, reiterated his demand recently.
"The state government can impose a fee, say Rs 1000-2000, for those willing to use the beach so that apprehensions of some legislators that state will be deprived of revenue (in case of ban) are also addressed to," said the legislator who represents Ponda constituency.
Mamlatdar, a retired police officer, had raised this demand for a "pay per enter beach" in the Legislative Assembly on Thursday while speaking on the Demands for Grants to the Tourism department.
Meanwhile, State Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar distanced himself from the comments made by Mamlatdar, saying it was his personal opinion.
"Everybody can express his or her own views on any subject. Whatever he has said in the Assembly was his personal view and government has nothing to do with it. It is not compulsory for government to take a cognisance of his views," Parulekar told a news channel.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman