Goa Govt Not to Challenge HC Order on Renewal of Mining Leases
In a clear signal that 28 mining leases would soon be operational resuming iron ore extraction in the state, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said that the government will not challenge the recent High Court order which has asked the government to renew these leases.
The 28 mining leases in the state had got respite from the Goa Bench of Bombay High Court last week. The lease owners had already paid the duty under Indian Stamp Duty (Goa amendment) Act, 2012 as part of the renewal process.
"The mining lease owners trusted government when no one else did it. I don't need to challenge the High Court judgement as it clearly says that the lease deeds can be executed subject to the conditions laid down by the Apex court in the writ petition," Parrikar told reporters here yesterday.
The mine owners had paid the stamp duty to the government despite Apex Court imposing the ban on the activity and industry's future was uncertain, he said.
The chief minister said the government would consider renewing these 28 leases.
"These mine owners paid me money (in the form of stamp duty), from which government generated revenue to the tune of Rs 435 crores. I managed to pay salaries of the government servants from this amount. Hence we would consider them within the framework of our mining policy, which would be discussed in detail on Monday on the floor of the House, next week," Parrikar said.
A division bench comprising Justice U V Bakre and Ranjit More had directed the state to execute the lease deed under Mines and Minerals Development Regulation (MMRD) Act.
- CBI Court to Frame Charges Against Advani, Others
- Cyclone Mora Hits B'desh, India On High Alert
- 'Had A Good Interaction,' Says PM Modi After Meeting German Chancellor Merkel
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10