Goa: Beach Cleanliness to Begin on September 1
Goa's untidy and garbage-ridden beaches would soon be a thing of the past as the state tourism department has contracted the work of cleaning the sea shore which will begin from tomorrow.
A private agency has already been hired by the government which will clean the beach belt of around 60 kms, out of total 105 kms stretch, state tourism minister Dilip Parulekar said today.
"All the beaches visited by tourists would be cleaned," he said.
Initially, the cleaning would be done manually, and gradually after the rainy season, machines would be used to pick up the rag from the shoreline, he said.
"We will go ahead with the mechanised cleaning of the beaches only if NGOs which are working in the field of environment protection are satisfied," he said.
Some NGOs had earlier claimed that mechanised cleaning might result in destruction of flora and fauna in the beach belt.
The tourism ministry has formed two committees for each of the district which will certify that the beaches are clean, before the state government clears the bill of the agency contracted for the cleanliness work, Parulekar said.
The state government will keep a close watch on the cleanliness drive, as there have been several complaints from tourists about littering on the beaches, the minister said.
FROM OUTLOOKEnvironmentThe Gujarat High Court orders the closure of about 1,500 industrial units in the state for violating pollution...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionHere’s the good news: wind power, solar powemore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Mar 18 (PTI) In a bid to preserve the emore from WIRES>>>
- Whole of J&K Belongs to India: Swaraj on Sharif's 'Delusional Kashmir Dream'
- Kashmir: Congress Decides Not to Meet Rajnath Singh
- Declare Blackmoney by Sept 30 or Face Action: PM
- 80 Dead as IS Claims Twin Blasts During Kabul Protest
- Chennai: Search for Missing IAF Plane Intensified, Parrikar Conducts Aerial Survey
- 'Lone' Munich Shooter Kills Nine in Mall Rampage, Commits Suicide
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Drunk Driver Acted Like Suicidal Human Bomb, Says Court
- 225 Killed or Missing in China Rains, 2.5 Lakh People Trapped
- SE Asia Bloc Pushes for South China Sea Breakthrough
- India Bowl Out West Indies for 243, Take 323-Run Lead
- Brazil Police Arrest Man Suspected of Olympics Attack Plans
- WB: 17-Year-Old Hit by Broken Liquor Bottle During Argument, Dies
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED