Goa: Beach Cleanliness to Begin on September 1
Goa's untidy and garbage-ridden beaches would soon be a thing of the past as the state tourism department has contracted the work of cleaning the sea shore which will begin from tomorrow.
A private agency has already been hired by the government which will clean the beach belt of around 60 kms, out of total 105 kms stretch, state tourism minister Dilip Parulekar said today.
"All the beaches visited by tourists would be cleaned," he said.
Initially, the cleaning would be done manually, and gradually after the rainy season, machines would be used to pick up the rag from the shoreline, he said.
"We will go ahead with the mechanised cleaning of the beaches only if NGOs which are working in the field of environment protection are satisfied," he said.
Some NGOs had earlier claimed that mechanised cleaning might result in destruction of flora and fauna in the beach belt.
The tourism ministry has formed two committees for each of the district which will certify that the beaches are clean, before the state government clears the bill of the agency contracted for the cleanliness work, Parulekar said.
The state government will keep a close watch on the cleanliness drive, as there have been several complaints from tourists about littering on the beaches, the minister said.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan