Girls Have Right to Wear Jeans, Use Mobiles: Khap Chief
To use mobile phones and wear jeans is the fundamental right of a girl and no panchayat should put a ban on it, chief of a Khap panchayat in Haryana has said.
Kandela Khap Panchayat chief Tekaram Kandela said to use mobile phones and wear jeans is the fundamental right of a girl and his panchayat does not encourage a ban on it.
He, however, asserted that a girl should dress according to the society she is present in and also said that Panchayats should not take decisions which "kill" the rights of the people.
Khandela's comments come in wake of panchayat of Gujjar community banning unmarried girls from wearing jeans and keeping mobile phones, claiming that its was having a "bad" effect on them and led to eve-teasing incidents.
The panchayat in Jadwad village on August 8 passed the diktat banning wearing of jeans and use of mobile phones by unmarried girls and also claimed that eve-teasing incidents had increased due to "objectionable" clothes worn by girls.
Condemning such dictats, Khandela said "we should not kill anybody's rights. Every individual is free to wear anything they like, but, at the same time, the dress should be in accordance to the society they live in."
He said, "a girl should dress up keeping in mind the repute and dignity of the society she lives in. Such bans do not reduce crimes rates. Crimes will stop when people will impose self restraint and adhere to social policies."
Khandela urged Khap Panchayats to formulate several committies to create awareness among people to prevent rapes and violence against women in the society.
He said khap panchayats in Harayana will play a major role in the upcoming Assembly elections in the state.
- One Dead, Two Injured in Germany Machete Attack: Police
- Nepal in Fresh Political Turmoil as PM Oli Resigns
- Want Emotional Relationship With People of Kashmir: Rajnath Singh
- Wrestler Narsingh Fails Dope Test, Rio Participation Doubtful
- Toll in Kashmir Unrest Climbs to 47, Curfew Continues in Five Districts
- AAP MLA Arrested for Trying to Murder Woman His House in Southeast Delhi
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Boris Johnson Claims India Owes UK Multi-Million Pounds
- India's First Green Rail Corridor Launched in TN
- Munich Gunman Planned Attack for a Year, Chose Victims Randomly
- Dancing, Drugs, Extremism: Multiple Lives of Nice Attacker
- Young Woman, Son Crushed to Death in WB, Mob Erupts in Violence
- IOC Decides Against Blanket Doping Ban for Russia
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED