Girls Have Right to Wear Jeans, Use Mobiles: Khap Chief
To use mobile phones and wear jeans is the fundamental right of a girl and no panchayat should put a ban on it, chief of a Khap panchayat in Haryana has said.
Kandela Khap Panchayat chief Tekaram Kandela said to use mobile phones and wear jeans is the fundamental right of a girl and his panchayat does not encourage a ban on it.
He, however, asserted that a girl should dress according to the society she is present in and also said that Panchayats should not take decisions which "kill" the rights of the people.
Khandela's comments come in wake of panchayat of Gujjar community banning unmarried girls from wearing jeans and keeping mobile phones, claiming that its was having a "bad" effect on them and led to eve-teasing incidents.
The panchayat in Jadwad village on August 8 passed the diktat banning wearing of jeans and use of mobile phones by unmarried girls and also claimed that eve-teasing incidents had increased due to "objectionable" clothes worn by girls.
Condemning such dictats, Khandela said "we should not kill anybody's rights. Every individual is free to wear anything they like, but, at the same time, the dress should be in accordance to the society they live in."
He said, "a girl should dress up keeping in mind the repute and dignity of the society she lives in. Such bans do not reduce crimes rates. Crimes will stop when people will impose self restraint and adhere to social policies."
Khandela urged Khap Panchayats to formulate several committies to create awareness among people to prevent rapes and violence against women in the society.
He said khap panchayats in Harayana will play a major role in the upcoming Assembly elections in the state.
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Sukhoi Fighter Jet Goes Missing Near Tezpur in Assam
- Ex-Congress MP Naveen Jindal Summoned As Accused In Coal-Scam Case
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10