Girls Have Right to Wear Jeans, Use Mobiles: Khap Chief
To use mobile phones and wear jeans is the fundamental right of a girl and no panchayat should put a ban on it, chief of a Khap panchayat in Haryana has said.
Kandela Khap Panchayat chief Tekaram Kandela said to use mobile phones and wear jeans is the fundamental right of a girl and his panchayat does not encourage a ban on it.
He, however, asserted that a girl should dress according to the society she is present in and also said that Panchayats should not take decisions which "kill" the rights of the people.
Khandela's comments come in wake of panchayat of Gujjar community banning unmarried girls from wearing jeans and keeping mobile phones, claiming that its was having a "bad" effect on them and led to eve-teasing incidents.
The panchayat in Jadwad village on August 8 passed the diktat banning wearing of jeans and use of mobile phones by unmarried girls and also claimed that eve-teasing incidents had increased due to "objectionable" clothes worn by girls.
Condemning such dictats, Khandela said "we should not kill anybody's rights. Every individual is free to wear anything they like, but, at the same time, the dress should be in accordance to the society they live in."
He said, "a girl should dress up keeping in mind the repute and dignity of the society she lives in. Such bans do not reduce crimes rates. Crimes will stop when people will impose self restraint and adhere to social policies."
Khandela urged Khap Panchayats to formulate several committies to create awareness among people to prevent rapes and violence against women in the society.
He said khap panchayats in Harayana will play a major role in the upcoming Assembly elections in the state.
- Agli Baar, Medal Beshumaar: PM Announces Task Force to Prepare India for Olympics
- France Top Court Suspends Burkini Ban
- Pak Regrets India's Rejection of 'Discuss Kashmir' Proposal
- Scorpene Data Leak Not a Big Worry: Parrikar
- Can't Order Establishment of 'Ram Rajya' in the Country: SC
- Haji Ali Dargah Should Allow Women, Says Bombay HC
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Whistleblower to Handover Scorpene Data Disk to Aus Govt: Newspaper
- Kanhaiya, Two Others Granted Regular Bail in Sedition Case
- Odisha Govt Admits Lapses, Man Says No Heed Paid by Hospital
- Are Decisions Taken by Cabinet Being Implemented, PM Seeks to Know
- AAP Removes Chhotepur as Punjab Convenor
- Cong Raking Up Needless Controversies for Political Gains: Naidu
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED