Girl Dies of Injury; Locals Ransack Shops in Protest in Uttar Pradesh
About a dozen shops and business establishments were ransacked here today as police lobbed tear gas shells to disperse a mob, protesting the death of a girl belonging to one community allegedly of injuries inflicted by four youths, belonging to another community.
The 17-year-old victim, a resident of Amaniganj here was allegedly kidnapped on Saturday evening by the four persons in a car, while she had gone out to make some purchase and was found lying on a roadside later in the night in adjoining Barabanki district, according to an FIR lodged with the police.
The girl was rushed to KGMU Trauma Centre in the state capital where she died on Sunday morning, police said, adding one person has been arrested on the basis of the complaint.
"Some politicians for the sake of politics have polluted the atmosphere making it sensitive and communal, we have to use force to protect public properties and to maintain law and order" Faizabad Additional SP, P R Shrivastava, said.
The uncle of the victim, however has alleged that the girl was "raped and murdered" by one of the accused and said the police "did not take into account this complaint" while lodging the FIR.
"It was around Sunday noon that we received a call from police, informing us that she had died in KGMU," he said.
The accused was produced before a remand magistrate this evening, and the court has sent him to a 14-day judicial custody, Faizabad SP City, R S Gautam said.
Meanwhile, in Lucknow, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav today directed strict action against the culprits.
In his tweet, Yadav said that instructions have been given for taking strict action in the Faizabad incident, besides extending all assistance to the family of the deceased.
The chief minister has also ordered the district administration to have a "zero tolerance" approach against rumour-mongers in connection with the incident.
- No Explanation, No Opportunity to Defend Myself, Says Mistry in an Explosive Mail to Board Members
- Modi-Key Talks: NZ Assures 'Constructive' Approach on NSG Bid
- Akhilesh Briefs Governor Ram Naik on Political Situation in UP
- Former Karnataka CM B.S. Yeddyurappa Acquitted of Corruption Charges
- Manipuri Student's Body Found in JNU Hostel Room
- Paul Beatty Becomes the First American to Win Booker Prize
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Police Registers Assault Case Against AAP MLA Amantullah Khan
- PM Asks Officials to Analyze World Bank Report Which Ranked India 130th
- Cabinet May Consider Advancing Budget to Feb 1
- UNESCO Approves Resolution on Jerusalem That Israel Says Denies Judaism's Ties to Temple Mount
- 26/11: India Not Responding to Pak Request to Send Witnesses, Says Prosecution
- Pak Lawmakers Slam Cricketers for Doing Push-Ups After Match Win Instead of Praying
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED