Gender Equality Un-Islamic, Women Only Fit to Give Birth: Sunni Leader
In a controversial remark, Sunni leader Kanthapuram A P Aboobacker Musliar today described as "un-Islamic" the concept of gender equality and said that women could never equal men as "they are fit only to deliver children".
Musliar, the chief of All India Sunni Jamiyyathul Ulama, said women have no mental strength and the power to control the universe, "which lies in the hands of men."
"Gender equality is something which is never going to be a reality. It is against Islam, humanity and was intellectually wrong," he said while speaking at a camp of Muslim Students Federation (MSF) in Kozhikode.
"Women can never equal men. They are fit only to deliver children. Women cannot withstand crisis situations," he said.
He wondered if there was even a single woman among thousands of cardiac surgeons.
The 76-year-old Islamic scholar's remarks against reservation for women in elections had set off another controversy recently.
He had said 50 per cent reservation of seats for women in civic polls was "too high" but retracted the statement later when it became controversial.
Referring to the ongoing debates over allowing girls and boys to share seats in colleges, Musliar said it was "part of a calculated move to destroy Islam and culture."
He also rubbished recent allegations regarding sexual exploitations at Madrasas and asked those who raised allegations to bring evidence to prove it.
A controversy had erupted recently after a woman journalist wrote an account on her Facebook wall about the alleged sexual abuse of young boys and girls in Madrasas.
- Shiv Sena Shuts Meat Shops, KFC in Gurugram
- 'Getting Threats for Criticising BJP, Modi'
- Kerala Nursing Recruitment Scam: CBI Arrests Prime Accused
- Toxic Air: FIFA Says No Match In Delhi After Diwali
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Adityanath Asks UP Police to Change Working Style, Identify 'Black Sheep' in The Department
- Lights Out for Delhi's Iconic Regal Theatre With Raj Kapoor's Sangam, Mera Naam Joker
- Drone Strike Kills 4 Qaeda Suspects in Yemen
- Australian Media Calls Virat Kohli 'Classless' And An 'Egomaniac'
- Chinese City Announces Punishments For Those Using VPNs To Bypass 'Great Firewall'
- Sad That What We Talk About Are Still Temples And Mosques, Says Sarod Maestro Amjad Ali Khan
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Aussie Cricketers Are No Longer Friends, Says Virat Kohli
- 'Jatayu Was The First To Fight Against Terrorism,' Says PM Modi
- Chinese Media: India Vigilant Against China, Has Chosen Japan As Partner For Country's First High-Speed Railway
- Will CPI(M) Seek Support From Congress for Upcoming Rajya Sabha Poll As Yechury's Term Ends?