GDP Expected to Improve to 5.5% in Current Fiscal: RBI
With improvement in economic activity and revival of sentiments, the RBI today said GDP growth in the current fiscal is expected to go up to 5.5 per cent from 4.7 per cent in last financial year.
"The implementation of government policy actions that have been announced should create a congenial setting for a steady improvement in domestic demand and supply conditions," RBI said in its bi-monthly policy statement.
Sentiments on domestic economic activity appear to be reviving, RBI said, adding that there are early signs of modest strengthening of corporate sales and business flows.
"Prospects of re-invigoration of growth have improved modestly... The central estimate of real GDP growth of 5.5 per cent within a likely range of 5 to 6 per cent for 2014-15 can be sustained," it said.
Driven by improved performance of the manufacturing sector, industrial production growth soared to 19-month high of 4.7 per cent in May.
Also, India's export growth remained in double digit for the second month in a row at 10.22 per cent in June.
The firming up of export growth should support manufacturing and services sector, it said.
Further, the revival of investments, unblocking of stalled projects, pick-up in external demand and stabilisation in global crude prices could help achieve the growth estimates, RBI said.
As per the Finance Ministry estimates, GDP growth in the current fiscal is expected be in the range of 5.4-5.9 per cent.
In his maiden Budget, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had announced a host of measures, including hiking tax exemption limit, incentives for the housing sector and relief in indirect taxes for auto and other sectors to promote industrial output and boost growth.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman