Gaza's Lone Power Plant Down After Israeli Attack
The only power plant supplying electricity to the Gaza Strip was knocked out of commission by Israeli shelling, deputy director of the energy authority in the Palestinian territory said today.
"Gaza's sole power plant has stopped working due to Israeli shelling last night, which damaged the steam generator and later hit the fuel tanks which set them on fire," Fathi al-Sheikh Khalil told AFP.
An AFP reporter saw huge flames raging near the plant on Tuesday morning, noting that fire department vehicles were still unable to reach the area.
The damage to the power plant exacerbated the heavy damage to civilian infrastructure in Gaza already inflicted during the 22 days of Israeli offensive aimed at stamping out militant rocket fire and destroying attack tunnels.
Besides the power plant, Gaza also purchases electricity from Israel, but many of the supply lines have been badly damaged by the recent fighting, Sheikh Khalil said.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryIf things don't change, in another three years, the metros can expect 8 to 10 hours of power...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionHere’s the good news: wind power, solar powemore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 24 (PTI) As many as 195 small hydrmore from WIRES>>>
- Indian Army Launched Surgical Strikes in PoK
- PM Chairs CCS Meeting to Review Situation Along LoC
- Meeting on Most Favoured Nation Status to Pakistan Postponed
- Ceasefire Violations Along LoC in Naugam Sector, Poonch
- CBSE Likely to Make Class 10 Board Exams Compulsory From 2018
- Three Injured in Shooting at Elementary School in US, Suspect in Custody: Police
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Congress Congratulates Army on Anti-Terror Surgical Strikes
- Surgical Strike: 7 Terror Launch Pads Targeted, Heliborne, Ground Forces Used
- Naxal Killed in Face-Off With Police in Chhattisgarh
- Rahul Gandhi Flays RSS, Says Its Trying to 'Divide India'
- SC Reserves Order on Petitions to Cancel Shahahbuddin's Bail
- Now, Atif Aslam's Gurgaon Concert Scrapped
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED