Gaza War Damage USD 4-6 Bn: Palestinian Deputy Minister
A month of fighting between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip will cost the Palestinian territory at least USD 4-6 billion in damages, deputy economy minister Taysir Amro said today.
Amro said the figure included only "direct damages" to the Gaza economy and warned it could climb further once additional impacts on the 1.8 million population are taken into account.
A more precise assessment would be carried out once calm returns permanently to the overpopulated sliver of territory where more than 1,850 people were killed and nearly half a million displaced, he said.
Amro said international donors were expected to meet in Norway in September, but gave no further details.
A 72-hour truce, brokered by Egypt and the United States, came into effect at 8:00 am (1030 IST) today as the last Israeli troops left the battered enclave.
The fighting began on July 8 and expanded into an Israeli ground offensive on July 17.
Hundreds of homes were destroyed and last week the Gaza Strip's only power plant was shelled, imposing total blackouts.
The Palestinian territory, under blockade by Israel and Egypt, suffers from chronic water and power shortages.
Even before the latest fighting, Gaza suffered power cuts of eight to 12 hours a day, hampering hospitals, schools, businesses and water treatment centres.
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events