Gagan Narang Wins Silver in CWG 50m Rifle Prone
Making a foray in a new event, India's star marksman Gagan Narang won a silver in men's 50m rifle prone at the 20th Commonwealth Games here today.
Narang, who has won four medals each in both the 2006 and 2010 Commonwealth Games but in other events, lost out the gold to Warren Potent of Australia by 0.7 points.
Narang collected 203.6 in the 20-shot final round, while gold-winner Potent scored 204.3. Kenneth Parr of England bagged the bronze.
This is Narang's first Commonwealth Games medal in his first appearance in 50m rifle prone event which is not his pet event. Narang, who won a bronze in men's 10m Air Rifle in 2012 London Olympics, will also take part in men's 50m rifle 3 position event tomorrow.
This is also India's second medal in this event in the Commonwealth Games, with Sanjiv Rajput having won a bronze in the 2006 Melbourne Games.
Today, Narang failed to become only the third shooter to win nine gold medals in the Commonwealth Games but he still has a chance to achieve the feat when he takes the field in 50m rifles 3 position. India's Jaspal Rana and England's Michael Gault have won nine gold in Commonwealth Games.
Narang was in the lead afrter the second series in which he shot a perfect 10.9 but from there on he slipped to third with Potent taking the lead.
The Indian briefly jumped to the second position after the 14th shot and from then onwards maitained his position in the last six shots to bag the silver.
The contest for the gold medal between Narang and Potent was intense with the Indian shooting a 10.8 in the penultimate shot. Potent could have been under tremendous pressure had he come up with a low score but the Australian came up with a 10 to have a lead of 0.6 points.
Narang shot 10.2 in the last shot and Potent bettered him with a 10.3 to win the gold.
- Pak Regrets India's Rejection of 'Discuss Kashmir' Proposal
- Will Scorpene Leak Harm Rafale Deal? Parrikar Doesn't Rule It Out
- Can't Order Establishment of 'Ram Rajya' in the Country: SC
- 11 Turkish Police Killed in Bombing, PKK Blamed
- Haji Ali Dargah Should Allow Women, Says Bombay HC
- 7 Killed as Gunmen Storm Beach Restaurant in Somali Capital
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Narsingh Would Have Won the Silver, Claims WFI Official
- Punishment Under Section 304A IPC Absolutely Inadequate: SC
- BJP Alleges Nexus Between SP and BSP
- Centre Cuts State Funds But Spends Money on PM's Suit: Mamata
- Four-Year-Old Girl Raped on School Campus in Bhubaneswar
- Delhi: Deserted by Father, Two Girls Rescued From Locked Room
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED