Gagan Narang Wins Silver in CWG 50m Rifle Prone
Making a foray in a new event, India's star marksman Gagan Narang won a silver in men's 50m rifle prone at the 20th Commonwealth Games here today.
Narang, who has won four medals each in both the 2006 and 2010 Commonwealth Games but in other events, lost out the gold to Warren Potent of Australia by 0.7 points.
Narang collected 203.6 in the 20-shot final round, while gold-winner Potent scored 204.3. Kenneth Parr of England bagged the bronze.
This is Narang's first Commonwealth Games medal in his first appearance in 50m rifle prone event which is not his pet event. Narang, who won a bronze in men's 10m Air Rifle in 2012 London Olympics, will also take part in men's 50m rifle 3 position event tomorrow.
This is also India's second medal in this event in the Commonwealth Games, with Sanjiv Rajput having won a bronze in the 2006 Melbourne Games.
Today, Narang failed to become only the third shooter to win nine gold medals in the Commonwealth Games but he still has a chance to achieve the feat when he takes the field in 50m rifles 3 position. India's Jaspal Rana and England's Michael Gault have won nine gold in Commonwealth Games.
Narang was in the lead afrter the second series in which he shot a perfect 10.9 but from there on he slipped to third with Potent taking the lead.
The Indian briefly jumped to the second position after the 14th shot and from then onwards maitained his position in the last six shots to bag the silver.
The contest for the gold medal between Narang and Potent was intense with the Indian shooting a 10.8 in the penultimate shot. Potent could have been under tremendous pressure had he come up with a low score but the Australian came up with a 10 to have a lead of 0.6 points.
Narang shot 10.2 in the last shot and Potent bettered him with a 10.3 to win the gold.
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Sukhoi Fighter Jet Goes Missing Near Tezpur in Assam
- Ex-Congress MP Naveen Jindal Summoned As Accused In Coal-Scam Case
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10