Fringe Hindu Groups 'Celebrate' Ananthamurthy's Death
Activists of fringe Hindu groups today "celebrated" the death of Jnanpith awardee U R Ananthamurthy by bursting crackers at a locality here.
The activists, many of whom covered their faces to mask their identities, also raised slogans against Ananthamurthy as they burst the crackers, police said.
The incident took place in front of the office of a local Bajrang Dal leader.
Ananthamurthy, who was known for his strong anti-Sangh Parivar, anti-BJP' views, had raised a storm of controversy in the run-up to the Lok Sabha elections, saying he would not live in India if Narendra Modi were to become the Prime Minister.
The renowned writer, however, did a U-turn, saying he had made the remark out of emotion.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryThe Supreme Court verdict in the Manohar Joshi case raises fears that the next poll campaigns...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinion“I believe 'soft' Hindutva is coming. What hmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESConspirators in the Malegaon blast had planned tomore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED