Four Militants, Two Jawans Killed in Encounter in J&K
Four suspected Lashkar-e-Toiba militants and two soldiers were today killed in two separate operations close to Line of Control in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Security forces had laid an ambush last night in Kalaroos area of Kupwara following an information about movement of militants in the area, an Army official said here today.
He said contact with the group of militants was established this morning and they were asked to surrender.
"However, the ultras opened firing towards security forces' positions, which was retaliated, resulting in a gun battle that lasted several hours," the official said.
He said a search operation was carried out after the gun fire stopped and bodies of four militants were recovered.
Four AK rifles and some ammunition were also recovered from the spot, he added.
An Army soldier – Naik Neeraj Kumar Singh – sustained grievous injuries during the operation and was airlifted to 92 Base Hospital Srinagar, where he succumbed, the official said.
The official said the militants were believed to be affiliated to LeT.
According to an Army spokesman it was not yet clear whether the militants were infiltrating from or exfiltrating to Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
"It can be ascertained only after analysing the recoveries affected from the slain terrorists," he said.
In another operation in Keran sector, a jawan was killed in a brief gunbattle with militants late last night.
Grenadier Rahul Kumar was injured in the operation and taken to military hospital at Drugmulla in Kupwara where he succumbed to injuries, an Army official said.
- One Killed In Clashes At Saharanpur, Mayawati Slams Yogi Government
- Twitter Forces Rawal To Delete Tweet On Roy
- Melania Trump Evades Donald Trump’s Hand Again, For The Second Time
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10