Four Militants Gunned Down in Kashmir
Four heavily-armed militants were killed by security forces in Keran sector near the Line of Control in north Kashmir's Kupwara district.
"In this operation which is on since last night, four terrorists have been killed. Eight AK-47 rifles have been recovered along with a number of rucksacks and a lot of other equipments for navigation purposes," General Officer Commanding of Srinagar-based 15 Corps Lt Gen Subrata Saha told reporters here today, 60 km from Srinagar.
He said it was premature to say whether the slain militants were trying to infiltrate into the Valley from across the Line of Control or were exfiltrating.
"Even as we speak, the operation is going on. The operation has to conclude first and we have to see the kind of recoveries and that will give us an indication whether it was an infiltration attempt or an exfiltration bid. It will be a little premature for me to make a comment on that," the Army commander said.
Earlier, a defence spokesman said the operation was launched in Keran sector following a specific input about the movement of militants who were trying to exfiltrate from the Valley to Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
Lt Gen Saha said the Army has put in place a robust counter-infiltration grid to check attempts of militants to sneak into the Valley.
"We have a pretty robust counter-infiltration grid. There are troops who cover the obstacles by firing and there are surveillance devices to keep awatch round the clock.
"There are other innovative measures in place which we could not divulge due to operational secrecy," he said adding "do feel assured that it is a very robust counter-infiltration grid and that is the reason why a number of infiltration attempts have been foiled in the recent past."
In reply to a question about appearance of flags of al-Qaeda during protests in Srinagar, Lt Gen Saha said the issue is getting highest security concern and the "attention of all of us".
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia