Four Militants Gunned Down in Kashmir
Four heavily-armed militants were killed by security forces in Keran sector near the Line of Control in north Kashmir's Kupwara district.
"In this operation which is on since last night, four terrorists have been killed. Eight AK-47 rifles have been recovered along with a number of rucksacks and a lot of other equipments for navigation purposes," General Officer Commanding of Srinagar-based 15 Corps Lt Gen Subrata Saha told reporters here today, 60 km from Srinagar.
He said it was premature to say whether the slain militants were trying to infiltrate into the Valley from across the Line of Control or were exfiltrating.
"Even as we speak, the operation is going on. The operation has to conclude first and we have to see the kind of recoveries and that will give us an indication whether it was an infiltration attempt or an exfiltration bid. It will be a little premature for me to make a comment on that," the Army commander said.
Earlier, a defence spokesman said the operation was launched in Keran sector following a specific input about the movement of militants who were trying to exfiltrate from the Valley to Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
Lt Gen Saha said the Army has put in place a robust counter-infiltration grid to check attempts of militants to sneak into the Valley.
"We have a pretty robust counter-infiltration grid. There are troops who cover the obstacles by firing and there are surveillance devices to keep awatch round the clock.
"There are other innovative measures in place which we could not divulge due to operational secrecy," he said adding "do feel assured that it is a very robust counter-infiltration grid and that is the reason why a number of infiltration attempts have been foiled in the recent past."
In reply to a question about appearance of flags of al-Qaeda during protests in Srinagar, Lt Gen Saha said the issue is getting highest security concern and the "attention of all of us".
- Samsung Heir Indicted For Bribery, Embezzlement
- Uber Asks Top Executive To Go For Hiding Sexual Harassment Charge
- Ringing Bells Manager Arrested For Fraud
- 'Have Killed Iranians': Kansas Shooter Told Bartender
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- OECD Cuts India's Growth to 7%, Says India a Star Performer
- 'It's About The Freedom To Coexist Yet Disagree':Hundreds Participate In DU Protest March Against ABVP
- Shooter Jitu Rai Wins Bronze in ISSF World Cup
- FIR Registered Against Unknown Persons In Connection With The Case Of Kargil Martyr's Daughter
- RBI Sets Up Panel to Review Cyber Threats
- Reliance Jio's Tariff Aggressive, Unsustainable, Says Airtel's Sunil Mittal
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events