Former Attorney General Goolam E. Vahanvati Dies
Former Attorney General of India G E Vahanvati, the first Muslim to become the top law officer of the country, died here today following a heart attack aged 65.
Goolam Essaji Vahanvati is survived by his wife and son, Maharashtra's Advocate General Darius Khambata said.
Vahanvati was appointed the 13th Attorney General in June 2009 for a three-year term after UPA government was relected. In 2012, the term was extended by another two years.
He resigned on May 27 this year after the BJP-led government headed by Narendra Modi assumed power.
Prior to his appointment as the top law officer, Vahanvati had served as the Solicitor General of India between June 20, 2004 and June 7, 2009. He was earlier the Advocate General of Maharashtra.
Born on May 7, 1949, Vahanvati obtained a law degree from Government Law College in Mumbai after graduating from St. Xavier's College.
Vahanvati was suffering from a lung infection for some time and was admitted to a city hospital.
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Sukhoi Fighter Jet Goes Missing Near Tezpur in Assam
- Ex-Congress MP Naveen Jindal Summoned As Accused In Coal-Scam Case
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10