Former Attorney General Goolam E. Vahanvati Dies
Former Attorney General of India G E Vahanvati, the first Muslim to become the top law officer of the country, died here today following a heart attack aged 65.
Goolam Essaji Vahanvati is survived by his wife and son, Maharashtra's Advocate General Darius Khambata said.
Vahanvati was appointed the 13th Attorney General in June 2009 for a three-year term after UPA government was relected. In 2012, the term was extended by another two years.
He resigned on May 27 this year after the BJP-led government headed by Narendra Modi assumed power.
Prior to his appointment as the top law officer, Vahanvati had served as the Solicitor General of India between June 20, 2004 and June 7, 2009. He was earlier the Advocate General of Maharashtra.
Born on May 7, 1949, Vahanvati obtained a law degree from Government Law College in Mumbai after graduating from St. Xavier's College.
Vahanvati was suffering from a lung infection for some time and was admitted to a city hospital.
- One Dead, Two Injured in Germany Machete Attack: Police
- Nepal in Fresh Political Turmoil as PM Oli Resigns
- Want Emotional Relationship With People of Kashmir: Rajnath Singh
- Wrestler Narsingh Fails Dope Test, Rio Participation Doubtful
- Toll in Kashmir Unrest Climbs to 47, Curfew Continues in Five Districts
- AAP MLA Arrested for Trying to Murder Woman His House in Southeast Delhi
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Boris Johnson Claims India Owes UK Multi-Million Pounds
- India's First Green Rail Corridor Launched in TN
- Munich Gunman Planned Attack for a Year, Chose Victims Randomly
- Dancing, Drugs, Extremism: Multiple Lives of Nice Attacker
- Young Woman, Son Crushed to Death in WB, Mob Erupts in Violence
- IOC Decides Against Blanket Doping Ban for Russia
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED