Force-Feeding Row: HC Reserves Judgement
The Delhi High Court today reserved its order on a PIL seeking a direction to the Lok Sabha Speaker and the Chairman of Rajya Sabha to disqualify 11 Shiv Sena MPs for allegedly force-feeding a Ramzan-observing employee of IRCTC at the new Maharashtra Sadan here.
A bench of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice Jayant Nath reserved the order after the counsel for both the parties concluded their submissions.
Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Sanjay Jain, appearing for the Centre, told the court that the PIL "does not stand anywhere" as the victim has so far not approached the police for registration of an FIR.
Seeking dismissal of the PIL, the ASG referred to the prayers made in the PIL seeking de-recognition of Shiv Sena and a direction to the Lok Sabha Speaker and the Chairman of Rajya Sabha to disqualify 11 MPs of the party.
"The High Court cannot pass these two directions," he said adding that so far as other submissions are concerned, the central government had already taken a "strong view" of the issue. Moreover, the Home Ministry had already made a statement on the floor of the House, he added.
"The government is totally sensitised with the issue. The Home Minister (Rajnath Singh) himself has made a speech in parliament that the government will not tolerate these kind of incidents," the ASG said.
The court was hearing a PIL filed by NGO Garib Nawaz Foundation through lawyer N K Jha, seeking immediate arrest of the MPs for "provoking religious sentiments against the minority community".
"The action of the Shiv Sena MPs with the fasting Muslim supervisor was uncalled for and needed to be dealt with strict action by party chief Udhav Thackeray," the PIL said.
The plea seeks de-recognition of Shiv Sena and initiation of criminal case against the MPs including Sanjay Rout and Rajan Vichare who represents Thane Lok Sabha seat.
The plea also alleged Vichare, irked over the poor quality of food, force-fed Arshad Zubair, Maharashtra Sadan catering supervisor, on July 17 before television cameras.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 14 Men Molest 2 Women, Posts Video On The Social Media
- Defending The Use of 'Human Shield', General Bipin Rawat Says 'Dirty War' In Kashmir Has To Be Fought With 'Innovative Ways'
- After Rahul, Now Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- Three Booked For Abducting, Raping Minor Girl In Rajasthan
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10