Flood Threat to Bihar Averted: Govt
The flood threat to Bihar has been averted after Nepal drained out water from the artificial dam created on Kosi river after a landslide, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said in Rajya Sabha today.
She said this to a query whether the issue was raised during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Nepal.
"The flood threat in Bihar has been averted as Nepalese authorities have drained out water from the artificial lake created on the Kosi river through a controlled explosion. The Prime Minister's presence helped in carrying out this action. Bihar is now free from floods," she said in response to a query by Sharad Yadav (JD-U).
Swaraj said since the artificial lake on the Kosi river was created at the time the Prime Minister was in Nepal, the authorities there carried out a controlled explosion and drained out water in it.
"For the first time in many years, there will be no floods this time in Bihar," she said.
Swaraj's assurance came after she made a suo motu statement on Prime Minister Modi's Nepal visit that has helped give a new direction and impetus to Indo-Nepal ties.
Raising the issue after the statement, Yadav asked her if the issue of flooding of Kosi river was raised by the Prime Minister during his Nepal visit.
Yadav said there have been floods in Bihar due to the Kosi river and creation of an artificial lake on it following a landslide that is likely to affect 5 crore people in India and Nepal.
There have been concerns in Bihar over the creation of an artificial dam on the Kosi river in Nepal that posed flood threats downstream on the Indian side.
The Indian government has carried out evacuation of many living along the banks of Kosi river to avoid any loss of life due to possible floods.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBReportageDebt trapped Vijesh Chaturvedi of Rewa district inmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- Cabinet Drops 1% Additional Tax From GST Bill
- RBI Slaps Rs 27-Cr Penalty on 13 Banks for FEMA Violations
- SC Critical of Magistrate Ordering Probe in Rahul Defamation Case
- Modi May Get Me Killed as Well: Kejriwal
- Sharif Describes Kashmir As 'Unfinished Agenda' of UN
- Key Witness Says Salman Khan Killed the Chinkara
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- My Induction in Maharashtra Council Was Rahul's Sudden Decision: Rane
- 5.4 Magnitude Quake Shakes Tokyo
- Antrix-Devas Deal: India to Appeal Against Hague Tribunal's Verdict
- Cong Asks Govt to Stop Campaign of 'Innuendos' in Augusta Case
- Akhlaq's Family Questions Authenticity of Mathura Lab Report
- Let Journos Report Proceedings Without Undue Restrictions: IPI
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED