Flood Threat to Bihar Averted: Govt
The flood threat to Bihar has been averted after Nepal drained out water from the artificial dam created on Kosi river after a landslide, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said in Rajya Sabha today.
She said this to a query whether the issue was raised during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Nepal.
"The flood threat in Bihar has been averted as Nepalese authorities have drained out water from the artificial lake created on the Kosi river through a controlled explosion. The Prime Minister's presence helped in carrying out this action. Bihar is now free from floods," she said in response to a query by Sharad Yadav (JD-U).
Swaraj said since the artificial lake on the Kosi river was created at the time the Prime Minister was in Nepal, the authorities there carried out a controlled explosion and drained out water in it.
"For the first time in many years, there will be no floods this time in Bihar," she said.
Swaraj's assurance came after she made a suo motu statement on Prime Minister Modi's Nepal visit that has helped give a new direction and impetus to Indo-Nepal ties.
Raising the issue after the statement, Yadav asked her if the issue of flooding of Kosi river was raised by the Prime Minister during his Nepal visit.
Yadav said there have been floods in Bihar due to the Kosi river and creation of an artificial lake on it following a landslide that is likely to affect 5 crore people in India and Nepal.
There have been concerns in Bihar over the creation of an artificial dam on the Kosi river in Nepal that posed flood threats downstream on the Indian side.
The Indian government has carried out evacuation of many living along the banks of Kosi river to avoid any loss of life due to possible floods.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBMumbai MusingsBefore one could celebrate the strong and satisfacmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- French Burkini Bans Face Legal Challenge as Tension Mounts
- India Talks Tough With Pak, Says Willing to Discuss Terror
- Stand By Every Word I Said on RSS: Rahul Gandhi
- Angry Mehbooba Ends Press Meet With Rajnath Abruptly
- Scorpene Leak: Navy Takes Up Issue With France's DGA
- Alternatives to Pellet Guns in Few Days: Rajnath
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- One Dead, 30 Feared Missing As Boat Capsizes in Bangladesh
- Bad Time Continues for Banks, KFA Brands Fail to Find Buyers
- Festive Fervor Grips Country on Janmashtami
- Cooperation Between India and Afghan Should Not be Against Pak: Foreign Office
- Gujarat IPS Officer Pandiyan Discharged in Sohrabuddin Case
- Manas Bhunia's Brother Joins TMC
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED