Flood Threat to Bihar Averted: Govt
The flood threat to Bihar has been averted after Nepal drained out water from the artificial dam created on Kosi river after a landslide, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said in Rajya Sabha today.
She said this to a query whether the issue was raised during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Nepal.
"The flood threat in Bihar has been averted as Nepalese authorities have drained out water from the artificial lake created on the Kosi river through a controlled explosion. The Prime Minister's presence helped in carrying out this action. Bihar is now free from floods," she said in response to a query by Sharad Yadav (JD-U).
Swaraj said since the artificial lake on the Kosi river was created at the time the Prime Minister was in Nepal, the authorities there carried out a controlled explosion and drained out water in it.
"For the first time in many years, there will be no floods this time in Bihar," she said.
Swaraj's assurance came after she made a suo motu statement on Prime Minister Modi's Nepal visit that has helped give a new direction and impetus to Indo-Nepal ties.
Raising the issue after the statement, Yadav asked her if the issue of flooding of Kosi river was raised by the Prime Minister during his Nepal visit.
Yadav said there have been floods in Bihar due to the Kosi river and creation of an artificial lake on it following a landslide that is likely to affect 5 crore people in India and Nepal.
There have been concerns in Bihar over the creation of an artificial dam on the Kosi river in Nepal that posed flood threats downstream on the Indian side.
The Indian government has carried out evacuation of many living along the banks of Kosi river to avoid any loss of life due to possible floods.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBMumbai MusingsBefore one could celebrate the strong and satisfacmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- SC Allows Marine Latorre to Stay Back in Italy
- Don't Behave Like Lords, 'Fall in Line': SC Tells BCCI
- Day After Stoning of Saamna Office in Maharashtra, Cartoonist Expresses Regret
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres Dies at 93
- Pak Approaches World Bank Amid Reports of India Revoking Indus Water Treaty
- Most SAARC Members Join India, Pull Out of Summit in Pakistan
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- MH17 Probe 'Biased', Moscow 'Disappointed': Foreign Ministry
- NIA Gets Custody of PoK Duo Who Facilitated Uri Attack
- Sahara Group Has Taken Us for a Ride: SC
- Pakistani Singer Shafqat Amanat Ali's Concert in Bengaluru Cancelled
- Idols of Durga Vandalised in Bangladesh
- Kashmiri Student Booked For Sedition Over 'Anti-National' Post
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED