Flood Threat to Bihar Averted: Govt
The flood threat to Bihar has been averted after Nepal drained out water from the artificial dam created on Kosi river after a landslide, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said in Rajya Sabha today.
She said this to a query whether the issue was raised during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Nepal.
"The flood threat in Bihar has been averted as Nepalese authorities have drained out water from the artificial lake created on the Kosi river through a controlled explosion. The Prime Minister's presence helped in carrying out this action. Bihar is now free from floods," she said in response to a query by Sharad Yadav (JD-U).
Swaraj said since the artificial lake on the Kosi river was created at the time the Prime Minister was in Nepal, the authorities there carried out a controlled explosion and drained out water in it.
"For the first time in many years, there will be no floods this time in Bihar," she said.
Swaraj's assurance came after she made a suo motu statement on Prime Minister Modi's Nepal visit that has helped give a new direction and impetus to Indo-Nepal ties.
Raising the issue after the statement, Yadav asked her if the issue of flooding of Kosi river was raised by the Prime Minister during his Nepal visit.
Yadav said there have been floods in Bihar due to the Kosi river and creation of an artificial lake on it following a landslide that is likely to affect 5 crore people in India and Nepal.
There have been concerns in Bihar over the creation of an artificial dam on the Kosi river in Nepal that posed flood threats downstream on the Indian side.
The Indian government has carried out evacuation of many living along the banks of Kosi river to avoid any loss of life due to possible floods.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Terrorists Attack Near Pakistan Court, Casualties Feared
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- Sensex Climbs Up 65 Points in Early Trade
- Swear by 'Ganga Maiyya' on Power Supply Issue: Akhilesh to PM
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- Publisher Cancels Right-Wing Provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos' Book Dangerous
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village