Flipkart to Launch Tablet Under Private Label on June 26
Online marketplace Flipkart is all set to launch a tablet with its own label on June 26.
The Bangalore-based firm, which sells its own brand of electronic and computer accessories like headphones, speakers and pen drives under the DigiFlip range, is expected to launch the tablet under the same label.
While the specification details of Flipkart's device still remain under wraps, the company is hosting a blogger event on June 26 and has sent out a cryptic invite in the form of a jar of tablets.
The move is expected to help Flipkart, which follows the mix of marketplace and inventory-led model (with resellers putting up their wares for sale on the website) to boost its margins in the highly competitive electronics retailing space.
Interestingly, last week online retailing giant Amazon launched its first smartphone - Fire Phone -- becoming the first e-commerce firm to compete in the over USD 150 billion global market, led by players like Apple and Samsung.
Amazon also has its Kindle range of e-book readers.
Flipkart's move to launch a tablet is also expected to help the e-commerce firm connect faster with its consumers.
Another similarity that Flipkart shares with Amazon is its annual membership fee-based service for its customers.
Flipkart First, which is similar to Amazon Prime premium subscription service in the US, aims at rewarding registered shoppers, which the company claims are about 18 million for the portal, as well as getting new ones on board.
Like Amazon's 'Firefly', Flipkart's tablet is expected to be integrated with features that will enable users to complete transactions with the firm that sells everything from apparel to household appliances to stationery within minutes.
Firefly can identify things like books, games, CDs etc by pointing a camera at them. It can also capture songs or TV programmes and gives the user options to purchase them.
With this move, Flipkart will compete with global giants like Samsung and Apple, which are leaders in the domestic market too.
However, going by tablet sales data, the growing demand for phablets is eating into the market share of tablets and it is yet to be seen how does Flipkart markets its device to catch the consumer's pulse.
According to research firm CMR, the tablet sales in India declined 17.5 per cent to 0.75 million units in January-March 2014 compared to 0.9 million units in the same quarter last year, pulled down by higher demand for phablets (six inch smartphones) and BIS certification compliance issues.
However, with the consolidation in the market (as many smaller players have discontinued their products), analysts expect sales to pick up in the quarters ahead.
FROM OUTLOOKCrystal BallRarely do people actually want to chat, mostly they are there to pick each other up and type...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBNEWS ANALYSISIn a letter sent to his employees on Monday, the dmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESA consumer organisation today challenged the recenmore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED