FIR Can Be Lodged If Tricolour Misrepresented: Centre to HC
FIRs can be registered in police stations regarding any misrepresentation of the tricolour and state emblems under Prevention of Insult to National Honour Act and Flag Code of India and no separate mechanism was needed to deal with it, the Centre has told Delhi High Court.
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), in its reply, has said that instead of devising a separate mechanism to deal with misrepresentation of the national flag and emblems, a criminal complaint can be lodged with the police station concerned.
It also informed a bench headed by Chief Justice G Rohini that the misrepresentation of national flag, as red, white and black, on the ministry's website has been rectified.
The bench, also comprising Justice R S Endlaw, was further informed that the Indian Navy intends to modify the design of its logo and flag (ensign) on August 15 to the extent of including 'satyamev jayate' under the state emblem.
The Indian Navy is in the process of obtaining requisite permissions and approvals for the same, the court was informed.
The court was hearing a PIL, filed by social activist and film maker Ulhas P R through counsel R K Kapoor, seeking directions to ensure that the national flag as well as emblems are respectfully displayed on all occasions and places.
It will now hear the matter on October 29.
The petitioner has contended that misrepresentation of the national flag by government departments on different occasions has been reported in newspapers and despite online complaints against them, no action has been taken.
He has also highlighted various instances when the national flag was misrepresented or disrespected by government departments, sportspersons and others.
- ED Issues Fresh Summons to Zakir Naik in Money Laundering Case
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- Would Have Been Better Had BJP Given Tickets To Muslims In Uttar Pradesh, Says Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- DU Girl Gurmehar Kaur Moves DCW Over 'Rape' Threats From ABVP Members
- ONGC May Acquire India's 3rd Largest Fuel Retailer HPCL For A Whopping Rs 44,000 Crore
- At Least 20 Children Injured After School Bus Overturns In Kanpur
- Commission Says Counterfeiters And Hackers Cost The US Close To 600 Billion A Year
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events