FIR Can Be Lodged If Tricolour Misrepresented: Centre to HC
FIRs can be registered in police stations regarding any misrepresentation of the tricolour and state emblems under Prevention of Insult to National Honour Act and Flag Code of India and no separate mechanism was needed to deal with it, the Centre has told Delhi High Court.
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), in its reply, has said that instead of devising a separate mechanism to deal with misrepresentation of the national flag and emblems, a criminal complaint can be lodged with the police station concerned.
It also informed a bench headed by Chief Justice G Rohini that the misrepresentation of national flag, as red, white and black, on the ministry's website has been rectified.
The bench, also comprising Justice R S Endlaw, was further informed that the Indian Navy intends to modify the design of its logo and flag (ensign) on August 15 to the extent of including 'satyamev jayate' under the state emblem.
The Indian Navy is in the process of obtaining requisite permissions and approvals for the same, the court was informed.
The court was hearing a PIL, filed by social activist and film maker Ulhas P R through counsel R K Kapoor, seeking directions to ensure that the national flag as well as emblems are respectfully displayed on all occasions and places.
It will now hear the matter on October 29.
The petitioner has contended that misrepresentation of the national flag by government departments on different occasions has been reported in newspapers and despite online complaints against them, no action has been taken.
He has also highlighted various instances when the national flag was misrepresented or disrespected by government departments, sportspersons and others.
- Whole of J&K Belongs to India: Swaraj on Sharif's 'Delusional Kashmir Dream'
- Kashmir: Congress Decides Not to Meet Rajnath Singh
- Declare Blackmoney by Sept 30 or Face Action: PM
- 80 Dead as IS Claims Twin Blasts During Kabul Protest
- Chennai: Search for Missing IAF Plane Intensified, Parrikar Conducts Aerial Survey
- 'Lone' Munich Shooter Kills Nine in Mall Rampage, Commits Suicide
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Shami Takes Four on Comeback as West Indies Struggle at 120/5
- Root and Woakes Star as England Dominates Second Test Against Pakistan
- Clashes Rock Syria's Manbij as IS Ignores Ultimatum
- Orissa: Seven School Teachers Booked for Allegedly Sexually Harassing Girls
- President, PM Condole Raza's Death
- Orissa: Minor 'Assaulted' by BJD Men for Refusing to Donate Blood
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED