FIR Can Be Lodged If Tricolour Misrepresented: Centre to HC
FIRs can be registered in police stations regarding any misrepresentation of the tricolour and state emblems under Prevention of Insult to National Honour Act and Flag Code of India and no separate mechanism was needed to deal with it, the Centre has told Delhi High Court.
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), in its reply, has said that instead of devising a separate mechanism to deal with misrepresentation of the national flag and emblems, a criminal complaint can be lodged with the police station concerned.
It also informed a bench headed by Chief Justice G Rohini that the misrepresentation of national flag, as red, white and black, on the ministry's website has been rectified.
The bench, also comprising Justice R S Endlaw, was further informed that the Indian Navy intends to modify the design of its logo and flag (ensign) on August 15 to the extent of including 'satyamev jayate' under the state emblem.
The Indian Navy is in the process of obtaining requisite permissions and approvals for the same, the court was informed.
The court was hearing a PIL, filed by social activist and film maker Ulhas P R through counsel R K Kapoor, seeking directions to ensure that the national flag as well as emblems are respectfully displayed on all occasions and places.
It will now hear the matter on October 29.
The petitioner has contended that misrepresentation of the national flag by government departments on different occasions has been reported in newspapers and despite online complaints against them, no action has been taken.
He has also highlighted various instances when the national flag was misrepresented or disrespected by government departments, sportspersons and others.
- SC Allows Marine Latorre to Stay Back in Italy
- Don't Behave Like Lords, 'Fall in Line': SC Tells BCCI
- Day After Stoning of Saamna Office in Maharashtra, Cartoonist Expresses Regret
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres Dies at 93
- Pak Approaches World Bank Amid Reports of India Revoking Indus Water Treaty
- Most SAARC Members Join India, Pull Out of Summit in Pakistan
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- MH17 Probe 'Biased', Moscow 'Disappointed': Foreign Ministry
- NIA Gets Custody of PoK Duo Who Facilitated Uri Attack
- Sahara Group Has Taken Us for a Ride: SC
- Pakistani Singer Shafqat Amanat Ali's Concert in Bengaluru Cancelled
- Idols of Durga Vandalised in Bangladesh
- Kashmiri Student Booked For Sedition Over 'Anti-National' Post
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED