FIR Can Be Lodged If Tricolour Misrepresented: Centre to HC
FIRs can be registered in police stations regarding any misrepresentation of the tricolour and state emblems under Prevention of Insult to National Honour Act and Flag Code of India and no separate mechanism was needed to deal with it, the Centre has told Delhi High Court.
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), in its reply, has said that instead of devising a separate mechanism to deal with misrepresentation of the national flag and emblems, a criminal complaint can be lodged with the police station concerned.
It also informed a bench headed by Chief Justice G Rohini that the misrepresentation of national flag, as red, white and black, on the ministry's website has been rectified.
The bench, also comprising Justice R S Endlaw, was further informed that the Indian Navy intends to modify the design of its logo and flag (ensign) on August 15 to the extent of including 'satyamev jayate' under the state emblem.
The Indian Navy is in the process of obtaining requisite permissions and approvals for the same, the court was informed.
The court was hearing a PIL, filed by social activist and film maker Ulhas P R through counsel R K Kapoor, seeking directions to ensure that the national flag as well as emblems are respectfully displayed on all occasions and places.
It will now hear the matter on October 29.
The petitioner has contended that misrepresentation of the national flag by government departments on different occasions has been reported in newspapers and despite online complaints against them, no action has been taken.
He has also highlighted various instances when the national flag was misrepresented or disrespected by government departments, sportspersons and others.
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Sukhoi Fighter Jet Goes Missing Near Tezpur in Assam
- Ex-Congress MP Naveen Jindal Summoned As Accused In Coal-Scam Case
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10