Finland's Jolla Eyeing Nokia Staff Laid Off by Microsoft
Finnish mobile company Jolla is interested in hiring Nokia employees, who have been laid off by Microsoft which has acquired the mobile manufacturer.
"What comes to the Microsoft job cuts: majority of our employees have a Nokia background, and we are always interested in new talent," Jolla Head of Communications Juhani Lassila told PTI in an email query in this regard.
In July, Microsoft has announced slashing about 18,000 of its workforce over period of next year. This biggest job cut in history of Microsoft included about 12,500 employees of Nokia devices and services which it acquired for USD 7.2 billion in April this year.
Some employees of Nokia devices, now Microsoft Devices Group, in India will also lose job as result of this announcement.
Jolla is a mobile handset company formed by a team of ex-Nokia employees who were working on a new mobile platform 'Meego' which was was dumped by Nokia in 2011 under the leadership of then CEO Stephen Elop.
Nokia in mid-2011 had unveiled only one phone-Nokia N9 on Meego in partnership with computer chip giant Intel.
Elop, who joined Nokia from Microsoft, decided to adopt the Windows platform and launched Lumia series smartphones. He is back to Microsoft as Executive Vice President of Microsoft Devices Group after the US software major completed Nokia devices business acquisition.
Jolla has offices in Helsinki and Tampere, Finland and Hong Kong, SAR of China. Jolla unveiled its first smartphone for about Rs 34,000 in November on new platform Sailfish and is now expanding globally.
Jolla has announced that it will soon launch its smartphone with e-commerce company Snapdeal. The company already has some advance orders from India.
- Encounter In Assam Was Fake, Says Top CRPF Officer
- Nepal Prime Minister Prachanda Resigns
- 'Enemy' Will Remember Pakistan's Response
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10