Finally, a Residential Visa for Taslima Nasreen
Controversial writer Taslima Nasreen today met Home Minister Rajnath Singh and later she said he has assured her of one-year visa.
"The honourable Home Minister assured me that my long-term residential permit would be granted as soon as possible. I am grateful to him for his gesture, I really appreciate it", Taslima told TV channels.
The 51-year-old writer was earlier given permission to stay in India for two more months beginning from August 1.
During the 20-minute meeting, Taslima requested the Home Minister that she be allowed to stay in India for a longer period, official sources said.
After her meeting with Rajnath Singh, she tweeted "Gave him my book Wo Andhere Din (Those Dark Days). He said, 'Aapka Andhere Din Khatam Ho Jayega' (Your dark days will end)".
The controversial writer from Bangladesh has been living in self exile since 1994 in the wake of death threats by Muslim fundamentalist outfits.
Taslima is now a citizen of Sweden. She has been continuously getting Indian visa since 2004.
She has lived in the US, Europe and India in the last two decades. However, on many occasions she had expressed her wish to live in India permanently, especially in Kolkata.
The writer had to leave Kolkata in 2007 following violent street protests by a section of Muslims against her works.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman