Finally, a Residential Visa for Taslima Nasreen
Controversial writer Taslima Nasreen today met Home Minister Rajnath Singh and later she said he has assured her of one-year visa.
"The honourable Home Minister assured me that my long-term residential permit would be granted as soon as possible. I am grateful to him for his gesture, I really appreciate it", Taslima told TV channels.
The 51-year-old writer was earlier given permission to stay in India for two more months beginning from August 1.
During the 20-minute meeting, Taslima requested the Home Minister that she be allowed to stay in India for a longer period, official sources said.
After her meeting with Rajnath Singh, she tweeted "Gave him my book Wo Andhere Din (Those Dark Days). He said, 'Aapka Andhere Din Khatam Ho Jayega' (Your dark days will end)".
The controversial writer from Bangladesh has been living in self exile since 1994 in the wake of death threats by Muslim fundamentalist outfits.
Taslima is now a citizen of Sweden. She has been continuously getting Indian visa since 2004.
She has lived in the US, Europe and India in the last two decades. However, on many occasions she had expressed her wish to live in India permanently, especially in Kolkata.
The writer had to leave Kolkata in 2007 following violent street protests by a section of Muslims against her works.
- Major Who Tied Civilian To Army Jeep, Awarded
- Indian Cabbie Abused And Assaulted In Australia
- Rawal Wants Arundhati Roy Tied To Army Jeep Instead Of Stone-Pelters
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10