Ferry With 250 Passengers Onboard Sinks in Bangladesh
An overcrowded ferry with up to 250 passengers onboard today sank in the Padma river in central Bangladesh, officials said.
They said strong current in the turbulent river apparently upturned ferry which was carrying nearly double the number of passengers than its capacity this morning in Munshiganj area.
"Two bodies were retrieved so far while some 45 passengers were rescued alive by vessels and speedboats which were plying nearby rescued immediately after the accident," a police official told PTI from the scene by phone.
Munshiganj Police chief Tofazzal Hossain said some of the passengers could swim to safety but many were feared trapped or drowned.
The private Samoy and other TV channels said the navy and fire service divers joined the rescue campaign but the inclement weather made the situation difficult to search for more bodies or passengers as the river remained very rough.
The accident took place when the ferry was on its way to mawa terminal starting from Kewrakandi of southwestern Madaripur.
Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority officials said a salvage vessel was directed to reach the site as soon as possible to retrieve the sunken boat Pinak-6. The accident occurred nearly three months after a boat capsized in the same area killing 50 people.
Ferry accidents are common in riverine Bangladesh criss- crossed by some 230 river especially in the southern and northeastern regions while faulty design of boats and ferries alongside poor safety standards are generally blamed for the disasters.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- CBI Arrests IRS Officer For Bribery In IPL-Betting Scam
- Cong Promises to Strive for Removal of AFSPA If Voted Back to Power
- Indefinite Bandh Called Off In Nagaland
- At Least 6 Killed, 14 Injured In Suicide Blast Outside Pakistan Court
- Trump Picks Lt Gen McMaster As New National Security Advisor
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village