Federal Autopsy Ordered in Missouri Teen's Death
US Attorney General Eric Holder today ordered a federal medical examiner to perform another autopsy on the body of a black Missouri teenager whose fatal shooting by a white police officer has spurred a week of rancorous and sometimes violent protests in suburban St. Louis.
Department of Justice spokesman Brian Fallon cited a request by family members and the "extraordinary circumstances" surrounding the case of 18-year-old Michael Brown in explaining decision.
"This independent examination will take place as soon as possible," Fallon said in a statement. "Even after it is complete, Justice Department officials still plan to take the state-performed autopsy into account in the course of their investigation."
The Justice Department already had deepened its civil rights investigation of the shooting. Officials said a day earlier that 40 FBI agents were going door-to-door gathering information in the Ferguson, Missouri, neighborhood where an unarmed Brown was shot to death in the middle of the street on Aug 9.
David Weinstein, a former federal prosecutor who supervised the criminal civil rights section of Miami's US Attorney's office, said a federally conducted autopsy "more closely focused on entry point of projectiles, defensive wounds and bruises" might help that investigation, and that the move is "not that unusual."
He also said federal authorities want to calm any public fears that no action will be taken on the case.
Holder's latest announcement followed the first night of a state-imposed curfew in Ferguson, which ended with tear gas and seven arrests after police dressed in riot gear used armored vehicles to disperse defiant protesters.
- Muslim Women Beaten Up by Gau Rakshaks in MP, Uproar in RS
- Curfew Reimposed in Parts of Kashmir
- T. M. Krishna, Bezwada Wilson Win Magsaysay Award
- Narsingh Replaced by Rana, Scandal Reaches Police
- Modi's Silence on Dalit Assault Devaluation of PM's Post: Cong
- Clinton Becomes First Woman Prez Nominee, Says Glass Ceiling Cracked
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Security Intensified Along Mizoram-Bangladesh Border
- BJP MP Seeks Central Intervention in UP
- Salman Acquittal: Key Witness in Poaching Case Says He Wasn't Summoned Deliberately
- WB Seeks GI Tag Only on Bengal Rasogolla, no Conflict With Odisha
- Car Bomb in Northern Syria Kills One, Wounds 50: Syrian TV
- Turkey Orders 47 Newspaper Journalists, Executives Detained
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED