Explosions in Ukraine Hours Before Truce Talks Start
Heavy combat fire rocked the outskirts of the strategic Ukrainian port city of Mariupol today, just hours before talks open on a possible ceasefire.
A series of explosions were also heard in the main eastern rebel hub of Donetsk overnight, apparently coming from the city's airport, an AFP journalist said.
Mariupol has become the latest flashpoint in the near five-month conflict in eastern Ukraine as pro-Russian rebels wage a counter-offensive that has seen swathes of land seized from government forces in just a matter of days.
Residents of the government-held city on the Sea of Azov have been digging in for fear of a major onslaught by the rebels, apparently backed by Russian troops and firepower.
AFP journalists reported heavy fire from the east of the city on Friday, with Ukrainian volunteer militias reporting attacks by insurgents on several checkpoints.
Ukrainian government forces had for weeks been besieging Donetsk, the biggest city in the largely Russian-speaking industrial east of the country in their battle to rout the rebels.
But the troops have now pulled back from positions around the city in the face of the insurgent advance.
The renewed fighting comes despite hopes that talks in the Belarussian capital Minsk later today on a peace plan unveiled by Russian President Vladimir Putin will lead to a ceasefire.
Russia denies it has any involvement in the conflict but NATO leaders are expected to announce a raft of fresh sanctions against Moscow on yesterday if no peace deal is agreed.
FROM OUTLOOKbritain: riotsCriminality? Elitism? Erosion of authority? Britain really shouldn’t have been shocked....more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBREPORTAGEInside the ophthalmology ward of Srinagar's SMHS Hmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESAt least 14 persons, including a photo journalist,more from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- Chinese Official Media Slams PM Modi for Balochistan Remarks
- Chopper Scam: Middleman Ready to Meet Indian Cops in Dubai
- Brussels Crime Lab Attacked to 'Destroy Evidence'
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED