Explosions in Ukraine Hours Before Truce Talks Start
Heavy combat fire rocked the outskirts of the strategic Ukrainian port city of Mariupol today, just hours before talks open on a possible ceasefire.
A series of explosions were also heard in the main eastern rebel hub of Donetsk overnight, apparently coming from the city's airport, an AFP journalist said.
Mariupol has become the latest flashpoint in the near five-month conflict in eastern Ukraine as pro-Russian rebels wage a counter-offensive that has seen swathes of land seized from government forces in just a matter of days.
Residents of the government-held city on the Sea of Azov have been digging in for fear of a major onslaught by the rebels, apparently backed by Russian troops and firepower.
AFP journalists reported heavy fire from the east of the city on Friday, with Ukrainian volunteer militias reporting attacks by insurgents on several checkpoints.
Ukrainian government forces had for weeks been besieging Donetsk, the biggest city in the largely Russian-speaking industrial east of the country in their battle to rout the rebels.
But the troops have now pulled back from positions around the city in the face of the insurgent advance.
The renewed fighting comes despite hopes that talks in the Belarussian capital Minsk later today on a peace plan unveiled by Russian President Vladimir Putin will lead to a ceasefire.
Russia denies it has any involvement in the conflict but NATO leaders are expected to announce a raft of fresh sanctions against Moscow on yesterday if no peace deal is agreed.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10