Ex-CJI Defends Appointment as Kerala Guv Amidst Controversy
Former Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam said that he doesn't see any problem in accepting the governorship of Kerala and serving the country from a constitutional post after the Centre's reported move to appoint him Kerala Governor sparked a debate in political and legal circles on the propriety of giving gubernatorial assignment to a person who retired from the highest judicial office in the country.
While Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the Centre had so far not sought his views on the proposal, KPCC president V M Sudheeran said the issue involved questions of "propriety" but it was for legal and constitutional experts to give answers to them.
"It has been a convention to consult the Chief Minister concerned before appointing the Governor..This practice has been followed during the appointment of previous governors during my tenure as chief minister. (In this case) So far, I have not been consulted. I expect that convention would be followed this time as well," Chandy told reporters in Kozhikode.
Sudheeran said though there had been instances of retired judges being made Governors, the appointment of a former CJI could raise questions of propriety.
He, however, added it was for constitutional experts to give an answer to this question, but there was nothing wrong in debating the issue.
Meanwhile, a section of Kerala High Court Advocates Association members today pressed for passing a resolution by the body requesting the President to turn down the recommendation of central government to appoint Justice Sathasivam as the state Governor.
Former president of the association Babu Paul and 121 other members in a signed memorandum also wanted the association to request Justice Sathasivam to turn down his nomination to maintain the independence and integrity of judiciary and uphold the majesty of judicial system.
The resolution would be considered by the association tomorrow at an extra ordinary general body meeting, association sources said.
In July, 2014, when talks were on to appoint Sathasivam as the governor of Karnataka, All India Bar Association had made it clear that the appointment of former Supreme Court Chief Justice P Sathasivam as Governor of Karnataka would be a "deviation" from the Constitutional principles.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- Hafiz Saeed Challenge House Arrest
- Amnesty Blames Trump In Global Rollback of Rights.
- US Plans To Deport Undocumented Immigrants
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Pondy, Karaikal Regions Declared 'Drought-Hit'
- I-T Department to Go Easy on Up To Rs 5 Lakh Deposits by 70-Plus People
- Academic Freedom Becoming 'Alien' Thought in India: Amartya Sen
- Industrial Units Must Have Effluent Treatment Plants, Says Supreme Court
- Modi Targeted as He Is From Poor Family: Uma Bharti
- Students Clash Outside DU's Ramjas College Over Invite to JNU's Umar Khalid
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- In A First, CBI Carries Out Searches At Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Don't Endorse The 'Donkeys Of Gujarat', Akhilesh Tells Amitabh Bachchan
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman