Even Modi Would Have Lost Polls on Cong Ticket: Nirupam
In remarks that could spell controversy for Congress, AICC secretary Sanjay Nirupam today said that "even Narendra Modi would have badly lost in the Lok Sabha elections had he contested on a Congress ticket".
Nirupam, who lost from the Mumbai North constituency, told reporters that despite several decisions taken by it for the welfare of the people, a severe anti-incumbency wave had worked against the Congress-led UPA coalition.
"We were in the government for 10 years and, due to many factors, there was public anger against Congress.
"There was such strong a sentiment against Congress that even Narendra Modi would have lost badly had he contested on a Congress ticket," said Nirupam.
Nirupam, however, insisted that the outcome of the Lok Sabha elections may not play out again in states like Maharashtra, where Assembly elections are due by the year-end.
The BJP won 282 seats in the just-concluded general elections while Congress has managed to send only 44 members to the 16th Lok Sabha.
"This election was different. Certain decisions were taken during the 10 years (of UPA rule) due to which there was anger among the people. There were also issues of price rise and corruption and BJP blew it out of proportion. But every election is a learning (process).
"(But) this is not a permanent trend, I do not think results of Assembly elections will be similar to that of the Lok Sabha polls," averred Nirupam.
- Indian Origin Punjabi Bus Driver Burnt to Death in Australia
- SC Dismisses Petition, Says Armed Forces Answerable To Government
- Fifteen Pakistan Rangers Killed In BSF's Retaliatory Fire In The Past Week
- Judges Selection: SC Slams Centre for Bringing Courts to a Grinding Halt
- US Charges 61 People in Multi-Million Dollar Indian Call Center Scam
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Along LoC in Jammu, Rajouri, Kathua, Girl Injured
- Daily Curator: While India Plays Spy-Spy With Pakistan, China Issues Gentle Reminder
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- India Third in Terror Deaths After ISIS-Boko Haram Areas: SC Told
- War No Option, Pak Should Take Initiative for Peace: Mehbooba
- Pak Army Says No Soldiers Killed in Firing at Border
- DND Flyway onnecting Noida to Delhi to Remain Toll Free: SC
- Swamy Asks PM to Form Multi-Agency SIT to Probe Tatas
- Northern Ireland Rejects Brexit Court Challenge
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED