Even Modi Would Have Lost Polls on Cong Ticket: Nirupam
In remarks that could spell controversy for Congress, AICC secretary Sanjay Nirupam today said that "even Narendra Modi would have badly lost in the Lok Sabha elections had he contested on a Congress ticket".
Nirupam, who lost from the Mumbai North constituency, told reporters that despite several decisions taken by it for the welfare of the people, a severe anti-incumbency wave had worked against the Congress-led UPA coalition.
"We were in the government for 10 years and, due to many factors, there was public anger against Congress.
"There was such strong a sentiment against Congress that even Narendra Modi would have lost badly had he contested on a Congress ticket," said Nirupam.
Nirupam, however, insisted that the outcome of the Lok Sabha elections may not play out again in states like Maharashtra, where Assembly elections are due by the year-end.
The BJP won 282 seats in the just-concluded general elections while Congress has managed to send only 44 members to the 16th Lok Sabha.
"This election was different. Certain decisions were taken during the 10 years (of UPA rule) due to which there was anger among the people. There were also issues of price rise and corruption and BJP blew it out of proportion. But every election is a learning (process).
"(But) this is not a permanent trend, I do not think results of Assembly elections will be similar to that of the Lok Sabha polls," averred Nirupam.
- SC Allows Marine Latorre to Stay Back in Italy
- Don't Behave Like Lords, 'Fall in Line': SC Tells BCCI
- Day After Stoning of Saamna Office in Maharashtra, Cartoonist Expresses Regret
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres Dies at 93
- Pak Approaches World Bank Amid Reports of India Revoking Indus Water Treaty
- Most SAARC Members Join India, Pull Out of Summit in Pakistan
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- MH17 Probe 'Biased', Moscow 'Disappointed': Foreign Ministry
- NIA Gets Custody of PoK Duo Who Facilitated Uri Attack
- Sahara Group Has Taken Us for a Ride: SC
- Pakistani Singer Shafqat Amanat Ali's Concert in Bengaluru Cancelled
- Idols of Durga Vandalised in Bangladesh
- Kashmiri Student Booked For Sedition Over 'Anti-National' Post
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED