Europe Has Been Ignoring Ukraine Army: Putin
Russian President Vladimir Putin accused Europe today of ignoring the Ukrainian army "directly targeting" civilians in the east of the country.
The Ukrainian military "is directly targeting its fire on residential areas" and "unfortunately many countries, including in Europe, prefer not to notice that," he said from the eastern Siberian city of Yakutsk in comments broadcast on Russian television.
Putin characterised the goal of rebel operations as protecting civilians.
"The goal of the rebel forces is to push back (Ukrainian) armed forces and artillery so they cannot fire on residential areas," he said.
In recent days Putin has repeatedly called for "substantive" talks between Kiev and representatives of eastern Ukraine on resolving the crisis.
Representatives of Kiev, Moscow and the OSCE are to gather today in Minsk for a meeting of the so-called Ukraine Contact Group, but it was unclear if representatives of pro-Russian separatists would attend.
"And now, in my opinion, a very important process is starting, the process of direct talks," said Putin without providing details.
"We worked on that for a long time and agreed on that with (Ukrainian President) Petro Poroshenko ... And now these contacts are starting, that are resuming."
In an interview broadcast yesterday Putin for the first time evoked "statehood" for eastern Ukraine, but his spokesman said it was an incorrect interpretation of the comments and the status of the region must be discussed between eastern Ukrainians and Kiev as part of a political resolution of the crisis.
- SC Seeks EC's Response
- Indian Woman, Son Found Murdered in US, Probe Launched
- Should Sidhu Be Allowed to Multitask?
- Aadhaar Not Needed For Mid-Day Meals
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Govt Staff in Bareilly Barred From Wearing Jeans, T-Shirts at Work
- Release Funds to State Bodies for Holding Matches: SC Tells BCCI
- 1984 Riots: SC Asks Govt to Give Files of 199 'Closed' Cases
- Counter-Terrorist Operations Claimed 92 Soldiers in J&K Since 2015: Govt
- PM Modi Calls Up Theresa May Over Terror Attack
- Dr Randeep Guleria Appointed New Director of AIIMS-Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Yogi Adityanath Makes Surprise Visit To Police Station In Lucknow
- Plea Against Kejriwal: Court Raps Police for Indecisiveness
- After Shiv Sena MP's Slipper Assault, Air India Mulling Preparing No-Fly List for Unruly Passengers
- With Vikalp, Passengers on Wait List Can Tavel in Rajdhani at Mail, Express Fare