Encourage Disabled Staff to Continue in Service: Govt to Departments
All government departments should try to retain the services of any employees seeking voluntary retirement on medical grounds or citing disability, the Centre has said.
The Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995, or the PWD Act, states that no establishment shall dispense with the services of an employee who acquires a disability during the course of service.
It has been decided that whenever a government servant seeks voluntary retirement citing medical grounds or due to disability, administrative authorities shall advise him or her about the option of continuing in service with the same pay scale and service benefits, said an order issued by Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT).
"If however, despite being so advised, such government servant still wishes to take voluntary retirement, the request may be processed," it added.
Citing the Act, the DoPT said that no establishment shall dispense with or reduce in rank an employee who acquires a disability during service.
"If an employee, after acquiring disability, is not suitable for the post he was holding, (he or she) could be shifted to some other post with the same pay scale and service benefits," the order said.
"No promotion shall be denied to a person merely on the grounds of disability," it says.
DoPT has in draft guidelines said that it has been noticed that in many instances, persons suffering from physical or mental disability seek voluntary retirement owing to inability to attend to duty and not being aware of the protection afforded to them by the PWD Act.
"They need to be informed about the protection available to them under the Act and must be encouraged to continue work," a senior DoPT official said.
- Centre Applauds Army's Attack On Pakistan Posts
- ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Blast That Killed 22
- James Bond Actor Roger Moore Dies At 89
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10