Election Commissioner O.P. Rawat Recuses From AAP Cases After Kejriwal Questions His Independence
Election Commissioner O P Rawat has recused himself from cases related to the Aam Aadmi Party the Election Commission is hearing after Delhi Chief Minister and party leader Arvind Kejriwal questioned his independence.
"He had questioned the independence of the Election Commission. It is a quasi-judicial body which delivers verdicts. Therefore, I have recused myself so that he can have faith in the independence of the institution," Rawat told PTI.
He said Kejriwal, the AAP and the people of the country should have full faith in the independence of the Commission.
"I thought it was the right thing to do," he said.
Rawat had yesterday decided to recuse himself from the case related to 21 AAP MLAs for allegedly holding office of profit. They face the possibility of disqualification.
Another case relates to 27 AAP MLAs for allegedly holding office of profit.
While the first case is at an advance stage of hearing, the second case is at its preliminary stage.
In an interview, Kejriwal had reportedly said he does not believe in the independence of two Commissioners, including Rawat because he comes from Madhya Pradesh and has been very close to Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan.
An IAS officer of the Madhya Pradesh cadre, he retired from service in December, 2014.
The Commission is likely to come out with a reply to the allegations levelled by Kejriwal against two of its commissioners.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10