Elders Want RS Chairman to Decide on Their Foreign Visits
A demand was raised in Rajya Sabha today to empower its Chairman and Vice Chairman to take decisions on crucial issues like permitting members for foreign visits and allotting rooms to parliamentary parties instead of such issues being dealt by Speaker, Lok Sabha.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Naresh Agarwal (SP) said, "It has become a precedent that Lok Sabha Speaker decides on issues of foreign visits of Rajya Sabha members, allotment of rooms to parliamentary parties."
He said "Article 80 and 81 of the Constitution through which Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha were constituted bestow similar priorities, privileges and responsibilities to members of both the Houses" but no decisions regarding Upper House members were taken by its Chairman and Vice Chairman.
Agarwal demanded such matters should be disposed of by Upper House Chairman and Vice Chairman besides constitution of a Committee for that. K C Tyagi (JD-U) supported the demand for formation of a committee to take such decisions.
Supporting him, Leader of the Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad said, "Parliamentary Affairs Minister is here and we need to have a committee to go into this for a final decision."
Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said, "Chairman can discuss the matter with representatives of political parties. Changes can be suggested in the system."
Kurien said, "I will report the matter to the Chairman, who will take an appropriate decision in this regard."
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED