Elders Want RS Chairman to Decide on Their Foreign Visits
A demand was raised in Rajya Sabha today to empower its Chairman and Vice Chairman to take decisions on crucial issues like permitting members for foreign visits and allotting rooms to parliamentary parties instead of such issues being dealt by Speaker, Lok Sabha.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Naresh Agarwal (SP) said, "It has become a precedent that Lok Sabha Speaker decides on issues of foreign visits of Rajya Sabha members, allotment of rooms to parliamentary parties."
He said "Article 80 and 81 of the Constitution through which Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha were constituted bestow similar priorities, privileges and responsibilities to members of both the Houses" but no decisions regarding Upper House members were taken by its Chairman and Vice Chairman.
Agarwal demanded such matters should be disposed of by Upper House Chairman and Vice Chairman besides constitution of a Committee for that. K C Tyagi (JD-U) supported the demand for formation of a committee to take such decisions.
Supporting him, Leader of the Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad said, "Parliamentary Affairs Minister is here and we need to have a committee to go into this for a final decision."
Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said, "Chairman can discuss the matter with representatives of political parties. Changes can be suggested in the system."
Kurien said, "I will report the matter to the Chairman, who will take an appropriate decision in this regard."
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'