Elders Want RS Chairman to Decide on Their Foreign Visits
A demand was raised in Rajya Sabha today to empower its Chairman and Vice Chairman to take decisions on crucial issues like permitting members for foreign visits and allotting rooms to parliamentary parties instead of such issues being dealt by Speaker, Lok Sabha.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Naresh Agarwal (SP) said, "It has become a precedent that Lok Sabha Speaker decides on issues of foreign visits of Rajya Sabha members, allotment of rooms to parliamentary parties."
He said "Article 80 and 81 of the Constitution through which Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha were constituted bestow similar priorities, privileges and responsibilities to members of both the Houses" but no decisions regarding Upper House members were taken by its Chairman and Vice Chairman.
Agarwal demanded such matters should be disposed of by Upper House Chairman and Vice Chairman besides constitution of a Committee for that. K C Tyagi (JD-U) supported the demand for formation of a committee to take such decisions.
Supporting him, Leader of the Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad said, "Parliamentary Affairs Minister is here and we need to have a committee to go into this for a final decision."
Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said, "Chairman can discuss the matter with representatives of political parties. Changes can be suggested in the system."
Kurien said, "I will report the matter to the Chairman, who will take an appropriate decision in this regard."
- Centre Applauds Army's Attack On Pakistan Posts
- ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Blast That Killed 22
- James Bond Actor Roger Moore Dies At 89
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10