Eight Killed, 17 Missing in Landslide in Southwest China
At least eight people were killed and 17 others remained missing after a landslide struck a village in southwest China, burying several houses.
A total of 77 houses collapsed after the landslide hit Yingping Village near Fuquan city in Guizhou Province last night.
Half of a 600-meter-high knoll broke free and wiped out a majority of the village at the foot of a hill, killing eight people, state-run Xinhua news agency said.
Seventeen people are still missing in the disaster.
A small reservoir was also breached during the landslide and the flooding caused further damage to the village, affecting over 150 villagers, State television network CCTV said.
Residents said the village was occupied mainly by children and elderly when the landslide struck as many of the villagers had moved to the city for work.
"The electricity suddenly went out, so we felt our way out of the house in darkness. The house was buried the moment I rushed out, and Tan, who was just behind me, didn't make it," Zeng Shuping, a local villager, said.
Rescue operation was on even as it was hindered by torrential rain.
Signs of life have been detected under the debris, pushing rescuers to avoid large machinery in case they injure survivors, said Wang Xuejun, a paramilitary police officer overseeing rescue effort.
Guizhou is one of the poorest provinces in China, and renowned for its hilly topography and wet weather.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBMumbai MusingsBefore one could celebrate the strong and satisfacmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Twice in Kathua, Rajouri, Jawan Injured
- Twin Raids in Northern Iraq by Suicide Bombers, 16 Killed
- Don't Release Funds to State Till They Implement Lodha Panel Recommendations: SC Tells BCCI
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- Modi Govt Trying to Impose Uniform Civil Code: Imam
- Security Beefed Up Around Raisina Hill in Anticipation of JNU Students' Protest
- Head of Militant Group Behind Dhaka Cafe Attack Killed: Police
- Films, TV Potent Means to Improve Indo-Pak Ties: Digvijay
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'