Efforts on to Rescue Boy Trapped in Borewell
Intense efforts were underway today to pull out a six-year-old boy trapped in an abandoned borewell at a farm in nearby Sulikeri village.
Teams from National Disaster Relief Force, nearby Hutti gold mines and fire brigade were engaged in the operation to rescue Thimmanna Hatti, reportedly stuck at a depth of 160 feet in the 300 feet borewell, officials said.
A robot with camera was lowered into the borewell but initial attempts hit a block as it faced a rock at a depth of about 140 feet, Manje Gowda, who is heading the robot team, said.
A parallel pit is also being dug to gain access to the boy, studying in Class I, who fell into the borewell yesterday afternoon in his father's sugarcane field while he was with his cousin.
District and police officials at the site said oxygen is being supplied to the boy.
District-in-charge minister S R Patil and senior officials of district administration and police are camping at the site overseeing the operation which continued overnight.
Hundreds of people gathered in the area around the site, impeding operations at times.
This is the second incident after the one on June 17, when a four-year-old girl fell into an open borewell at Nagathana village near neighbouring Bijapur and was found dead after a 50-hour-long rescue operation.
- Government Says 'No' To India-Pakistan Cricket Series
- CISE Declares Class 12 Results, Topper Gets 99.5%
- Delhi Man Killed For Objecting To Public Urination
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10