Ebola: RS Members Urge Govt to Ensure Safety of India
With over 3,000 deaths reported across the globe due to a new Ebola virus, members in the Rajya Sabha today urged the government to take necessary steps to save the country from the spread of this epidemic.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Pramod Tiwari (Cong) said Health Minister Harshvardhan had given a statement saying there is no case of Ebola reported from anywhere in the country but there were many suspected cases reported in the media from Delhi and Mumbai.
"It is a serious disease where mortality rate is as high as 90 per cent. There is no vaccine or treatment for it," Tiwari said adding, the government should not have given an "irresponsible" statement.
Stressing that WHO has declared it category IV disease, he demanded immediate and proper arrangements to prevent its spread in India as it can be spread from animals as well as humans.
"Three thousand deaths have been reported from the virus globally and WHO has directed for pilots and crew to be alert if they are travelling from affected regions," he said adding that US and other nations have made adequate prevention measures.
Charging the government with not making any such arrangement, he demanded immediate measures to save the country from the epidemic and said its symptoms were visible in two to 22 days.
A number of members associated with the demand.
Deputy Chairman P J Kurien said, "It is a very serious matter and I hope the government has taken note of it and will do what is necessary."
- Samsung Heir Indicted For Bribery, Embezzlement
- Uber Asks Top Executive To Go For Hiding Sexual Harassment Charge
- Ringing Bells Manager Arrested For Fraud
- 'Have Killed Iranians': Kansas Shooter Told Bartender
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- OECD Cuts India's Growth to 7%, Says India a Star Performer
- 'It's About The Freedom To Coexist Yet Disagree':Hundreds Participate In DU Protest March Against ABVP
- Shooter Jitu Rai Wins Bronze in ISSF World Cup
- FIR Registered Against Unknown Persons In Connection With The Case Of Kargil Martyr's Daughter
- RBI Sets Up Panel to Review Cyber Threats
- Reliance Jio's Tariff Aggressive, Unsustainable, Says Airtel's Sunil Mittal
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events