Ebola: RS Members Urge Govt to Ensure Safety of India
With over 3,000 deaths reported across the globe due to a new Ebola virus, members in the Rajya Sabha today urged the government to take necessary steps to save the country from the spread of this epidemic.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Pramod Tiwari (Cong) said Health Minister Harshvardhan had given a statement saying there is no case of Ebola reported from anywhere in the country but there were many suspected cases reported in the media from Delhi and Mumbai.
"It is a serious disease where mortality rate is as high as 90 per cent. There is no vaccine or treatment for it," Tiwari said adding, the government should not have given an "irresponsible" statement.
Stressing that WHO has declared it category IV disease, he demanded immediate and proper arrangements to prevent its spread in India as it can be spread from animals as well as humans.
"Three thousand deaths have been reported from the virus globally and WHO has directed for pilots and crew to be alert if they are travelling from affected regions," he said adding that US and other nations have made adequate prevention measures.
Charging the government with not making any such arrangement, he demanded immediate measures to save the country from the epidemic and said its symptoms were visible in two to 22 days.
A number of members associated with the demand.
Deputy Chairman P J Kurien said, "It is a very serious matter and I hope the government has taken note of it and will do what is necessary."
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia