Ebola Death Toll Reaches 932: WHO
The death toll in West Africa's Ebola outbreak has hit 932, with the number of cases surpassing 1,700, the World Health Organization said today.
In a statement, the UN health agency said that its latest updated figures took account of 108 new cases and 45 deaths reported by Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone between last Saturday and Monday.
The total number of laboratory-confirmed, probable or suspected cases of Ebola has now reached 1,711 since the outbreak in west Africa began in January, according to the WHO's figures.
The agency said that of the 45 new deaths, 27 were in Liberia, 13 in Sierra Leone and five in Guinea, where the outbreak began.
Sierra Leone's case-count has overtaken Guinea's over recent months.
It reported 45 new cases, taking its total to 691, with 286 deaths.
Liberia reported 48 new cases, lifting its total to 282. Of those, 282 have been fatal.
Although Guinea recorded just 10 new cases, it still has the highest death toll.
In total, Guinea has seen 363 fatalities and 495 cases and since the outbreak began.
The WHO listed five new cases in Nigeria, taking that country's count to nine, with one death.
Earlier today, Nigeria had confirmed five new cases in Lagos and a second death from the virus, bringing the total number of infections in sub-Saharan Africa's largest city to seven.
- Encounter In Assam Was Fake, Says Top CRPF Officer
- Nepal Prime Minister Prachanda Resigns
- 'Enemy' Will Remember Pakistan's Response
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10